Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2009 saab 9-3 2.0t 6 speed manual

P2135 throttle body position sensor

Hey everybody I just wanted to post my experience with this code on my 09 9-3 2.0t. So I got a cel and my car went into limp mode. I went and bought a cel scanner from pep boys for 40$, read the code, googled it, then cleared it. It went away for a couple days but then came back on. This persisted for 2 days as it got more and more frequent. I tried depressing the gas fully when starting, and this maybe seemed to help a bit but then that failed too. So on the third day it was warm enough out to work on the car. I went back to pepboys, bought electric connection cleaner and throttle body cleaner. I sprayed all of the connections involved, the tbs connection, followed the wires and sprayed where it connects a little farther back. I then sprayed the throttle body, although it didn't seem too dirty, just slightly sticky. Put it all back together, and viola! Reset codes and they haven't come back for a week. Hope this helps somebody

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    FYI
    Just in case this code comes back, your Hitachi throttle body has an accessible set of contacts hidden under the removable end cap. This is one of those things that comes apart easier than it goes back together and you do need to remove throttle body to get the cover back on. If the code comes back and it turns out to be the throttle body, odds are you will need a new contact set and you do need to remove to replace, so don't risk cleaning these with the throttle body on the engine.

Another thing that can cause this code is the gas peddle and unlike the throttle body this is not a regular GM part that can be cross referenced to a less expensive GM part number. The electrics can be snatched off of multiple GM cars as the pictures show, but the Opel Vectra was the only other car in the GM fleet that had the same base mount and foot feed assembly.

The obvious benefit would be saving a hundred bucks on plastic you don't need, the hidden benefit is being able to go hundreds of miles into the boonies on that get away fishing trip and be able to get a replacement part you might need from almost any auto parts store. The same hidden benefit is true for the throttle body pictured below. Depending on the year and motor this throttle body is used on the Saab, Saturn, Malibu, Cobalt, the HHR and this part, or its aftermarket counterpart is also available at most auto parts stores.

Name:  Saab 7.jpg
Views: 8001
Size:  24.5 KBName:  GM.jpg
Views: 7945
Size:  46.2 KBName:  GM%20Throttle%20body.jpg
Views: 7932
Size:  33.9 KB
    Last edited by Digger; 17 February 2017 at 17:42.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Wellllllll.... My solution worked for a week... And a half... And then it kept going into limp mode, I kept clearing it until it got warm out and stopped malfunctioning. Then this winter came around, and I was getting erratic throttle movements and I could tell limp mode was coming, so I replaced the throttle body with one from a wrecking yard 9-3 for 70$ + 2$ gasket. And that actually solved the problem, much smoother throttle.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by ovaska9-3 View Post
    Wellllllll.... My solution worked for a week... And a half... And then it kept going into limp mode, I kept clearing it until it got warm out and stopped malfunctioning. Then this winter came around, and I was getting erratic throttle movements and I could tell limp mode was coming, so I replaced the throttle body with one from a wrecking yard 9-3 for 70$ + 2$ gasket. And that actually solved the problem, much smoother throttle.

Thanks for coming back and telling the rest of the story. Way to many threads end leaving the reader wondering which, if any suggestion, ever fixed the problem.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Hey no problem[emoji16]

Saab(s)
    93 Aero
    Any updates on this problem? So far I have replaced wiring harness under the battery, new main computer and new throttle body. Problem still exist with limp home and error code 2135 coming on after a few weeks. It is worse and more often after or during short drives. The only way to clear the code is to disconnect the battery as if done with the code reader it just comes straight back. My mechanic is equally as lost! Running out of things try and replace and how much more to spend on it! 2005 93 Aero with 90000 on the clock

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Hey so I'm not sure, very confusing issue. You've probably tried electronic connector cleaner, spray that on all the electric connections. Also does your problem only happen when it is cold out?

Saab(s)
    93 Aero
    Sadley yes done all of this and I don’t live in a cold climate. The engine can be hot or cold makes no difference

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegegrove6230 View Post
    Any updates on this problem? So far I have replaced wiring harness under the battery, new main computer and new throttle body. Problem still exist with limp home and error code 2135 coming on after a few weeks. It is worse and more often after or during short drives. The only way to clear the code is to disconnect the battery as if done with the code reader it just comes straight back. My mechanic is equally as lost! Running out of things try and replace and how much more to spend on it! 2005 93 Aero with 90000 on the clock
    Basic assumption is that as you replaced the main computer that you have a Tech2 and checked the pedal position sensor values while driving before replacing ECU and throttle body. (If you haven't you should), so odds are it's a poor connection on the plug connect and a little cleaning or crimping will do, but sometimes it is the pedal sensor as these things do get worn spots where the foot usually holds the pedal. Holding a constant speed over a period of years wears the same small spot on the rheostat until it's just plain worn. The Saab foot feed assembly is pricy, but the part that wears out can be grafted from a dozen different cars or trucks, so don't sweat the plastic foot feed assembly, a late model Mitsubishi Montero could give you this part if it's what you need.

To make life a bit easier short term, pulling small fuse #2 in the UHC "aka the big fuse box" is easier than pulling the battery cable and you will probably code several times while driving with heat or cold blowing low on the feet to stress test the sensor and make sure the sensor that tested good is good.

Saab(s)
    93 Aero
    Great thanks for the guidance and I will try this