Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD

Windshield Decor Strip

I replaced my rear window decor strip one and a half years ago. Now I noticed the windshield decor strip is cracking and falling off at the very top. The strip which surrounds the windshield is intact, but the thin part that touches the painted roof panel is falling off. Parts are already missing. I had the car washed yesterday and there are no leaks around the windshield. So, do I need to replace the front top decor strip or if the part that surrounds the windshield is intact is that good enough? Do the side strips need to be replaced also if the windshield is removed to replace the top strip? The windshield has a very small crack which I repaired four years ago and has not changed. The rear window was removed to replace it's strip. So, how much do I need to do; replace the strip, remove the windshield, or replace everything? Should I expect the windshield to leak if I do nothing? Thank you.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    You don't need to do the windshield to replace the upper trim and if the side trim is fine leave it alone and let the glass guy replace whatever clips he might break when he removes the old glass.

What you can expect if you do nothing, is that you will eventually loose enough chunks of plastic that your car will whistle when it hits the wind just right.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    Thank you. My primary concern is the windshield leaking. The side trim looks good. No whistle noted at this time. Will replace the upper trim when convenient.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    Body shop will replace the decor strip only with removal of the windshield. Current chip certified as non-repairable and the windshield is at risk of breaking with removal. Auto insurance covers and will replace windshield minus deductible due to current non-repairable chip, but will not cover windshield breakage during decor strip windshield removal and repair. Decor strip is considered part of windshield replacement. Bottom line everything is getting replace by the Auto insurance company minus the deductible.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    Windshield with decor strip were replaced. Only problem is that the Cowl/Valence at the bottom of the windshield is now cracked and with a small gap between it and the bottom of the windshield. Is this a problem or only cosmetic?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    For looks the crack can be plastic welded, but with good used plastic still available from the salvage yard up north it's not worth the effort.
    The gap could be a problem depending on size and where the car spends most of its time. The cowl doesn't provide a water tight seal and the big tub filled with stuff that it covers is built to drain water. If the gap is big enough to let in seeds, leaves and pine needles, the drains will eventually plug and you can have a problem if you get enough of this stuff where it shouldn't be.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    So, replaced cracked Valence(part $118.00 US). Caution, automatic rain sensor casing detached from windshield causing sensor dysfunction. Turns out OME Windshield came with not so sticky two side tape to hold the casing/molding around windshield rain sensor. Had moulding reattached today for no cost to me. We will see if it holds. Only other repair is to replace the whole windshield again under warranty. This is a lot of effort for the decor strip.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    Reattachment of rain sensor failed. I'm not sure of what I will do now. Rain sensor works and is almost attached, but loosens and stops working when I go over bumps. Has anyone just had a loose sensor reattached. This was the second attempt.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    Rain sensor reattached and everything works.