Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2000 ,9-5

2000 Saab 9-5 (turbocharged)

Hello!just had a turbo installed and engine filter box.i hit a raccoon as he went under my Saab.right after that incident the turbo started smoking out the tailpipe.will I picked Saab up from garage today 04/03/18.on the way driving home the Saab started to loose power and shut off.it started again and I was creeping along berm with flashers on for caution.i couldn't go very fast probably 35 mph.had to stop a few times to regain power.finaly got it home,gas hand was almost empty or dash light was telling me with symbol of gas tank,had enough gas (reserved) as most cars for maybe 10 miles.when car is idling and at low flat speeds,no problem but when I try to go faster ,Saab shuts off but will restart.has anyone experienced this problem and what would cause this?any feedback appreciated. Thank you!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Probably not to many Saab experienced raccoon killers, but it sounds like you have a fuel starvation problem and by the way, running a gas tank less than half full is a great way to shorten the life of your fuel pump.
    Take a look under the car for fuel line damage and if you don't see anything obvious replace the fuel filter. Full or empty, beating your tank with a dead raccoon can knock enough crud loose to plug a fuel filter,

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I replaced the turbo on my 2001 9-5 a long time ago and had a similar incident. On my first drive after the replacement, it was just fine for a few miles and suddenly a loud pop. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw a cloud of white smoke. Engine hardly had any power anymore and I was thinking some kind of major problem.

It turned out the air hose on the turbo wasn't tightened correctly and slipped off the turbo. So no turbo power anymore and all kinds of weird stuff happening. I am not sure if this is the case for you but check all connections to the turbo and airbox and see if there are any issues there. As soon as I put the hose back on, all was good again.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by nordwulf View Post
    I replaced the turbo on my 2001 9-5 a long time ago and had a similar incident. On my first drive after the replacement, it was just fine for a few miles and suddenly a loud pop. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw a cloud of white smoke. Engine hardly had any power anymore and I was thinking some kind of major problem.

It turned out the air hose on the turbo wasn't tightened correctly and slipped off the turbo. So no turbo power anymore and all kinds of weird stuff happening. I am not sure if this is the case for you but check all connections to the turbo and airbox and see if there are any issues there. As soon as I put the hose back on, all was good again.
    Had that happen with a 9000 back in the '90s, no fun when it happens going up hill. I replaced the rubber section between the delivery pipe and the throttle valve soon after that. It was my fault that it came off in the first place, I had cleaned the throttle valve which was known to coke up on the 9000.

Saab(s)
    2000 ,9-5
    Ha,ha,ha,that was funny about the raccoon,but it actually ran under my Saab 2000 9-5 and broke the engine filter box,half of box was gone and other half was there when box and turbo was replaced.filter was exposed for about 3 weeks and I did drive it.iam wondering if exposure because it rained and I drove in the rain if that had anything to do with turbo being ruined.matter of fact I got a used filter box off of a Saab dealer and drove that day to pick the filter box up and it was raining.drove about 45 miles both ways and about halfway home Saab started to smoke and I panicked.,but noticed started to loose power and closer I got home the smokey it got...thanks !that's my Saab story.....

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Hard to believe but still true, something as innocuous as a small part of a pine tree needle that won't even slow a valve down as it passes through is enough to ruin a turbo and oil blowing out a damaged turbo is enough to ruin a catalytic converter. You should or very soon will, have a check engine light if it did.