Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by swisssaabist View Post
    did you not found original Saab external manufacturer on ebay ?
    The problem with eBay is that, unless you use the eBay shop of a reputable supplier, you can't be sure what you are getting. If you want the Original Equipment Manufacturers part you either use an eBay shop or go direct to the reputable supplier either way the price will be the same. By the way I wouldn't recommend using a secondhand DI Cassette.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    9-5 S Wagon-01
    The DIC I got is a second hand. From a sideswiped low miler.
    A non OEM DIC will cost US$190. However, the one I've found is from what looks to be a former OEM factory that has gone off-license. It's exactly the same inside and out as an OEM. Only thing that is different is a brand stamp.
    The OEM will cost $360. Both made in Sweden probably from neighboring factories if not assembly lines.
    I'm going for the option to get the unbranded one, keeping a spare in the back along side a tool box.

According to numerous saab/car forums and reviews, it is likely these ones will last longer than the OEMs.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1997 NG 900 SE
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielZ View Post
    A non OEM DIC will cost US$190. However, the one I've found is from what looks to be a former OEM factory that has gone off-license. It's exactly the same inside and out as an OEM. Only thing that is different is a brand stamp.
    The OEM will cost $360. Both made in Sweden probably from neighboring factories if not assembly lines.
    That's interesting info about a former OEM factory that has gone off-license but still manufactures DICs. Can you elaborate on that?

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    yeah we want to know !!

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Likewise, until now buying a DI Cassette has been a lottery unless one was prepared to buy an OEM unit. The problem with a secondhand item is not that they don't last but that most such units lack provenance.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    This probably won't help much outside the US and Canada but GM made Saab use GM parts and at least one, if not all of the black DIC's can be bought with a different GM part number at a Chevy price and the aftermarket Chevy part can be bought for even less.

Ordering anything from the internet that doesn't come with a pedigree is always a crap shoot, taking your black DIC to the parts counter of a well stocked store could get you a brand new generic part for about the same price as a good used OEM.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    GM made Saab use GM parts.
    Some times they are/were obscure parts that GM kept for high-end vehicles and, given the choice, wouldn't have used in what they thought Saab to be. The wheel nuts for the NG 9-5 also fit a rather expensive GM model for example. Some of what GM did was actually good, all the interior lights in the NG 9-5 use the same lamp for example, which is a pain if you want to use LEDs as you need two different types with the same fitting.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    9-5 S Wagon-01
    I'll dig up some on the dic's I've found. As said above, a lot of the internet no-names are prime Chinesium and'll lack important features such as longevity and knocking sensors...

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1997 NG 900 SE
    The Chinese DICs I know about. It's the Swedish no names that aroused curiosity.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 aero
    Had a very similar issue with my 2007 95-Aero. Mechanic got a couple of codes of misfire. He reset it but it kept about to stall, then fine --constantly. It would not stall/shut down. He recommended a new cassette. Found an OEM cassette at my local Saab shop (former dealer; now IM Autohaus in Virginia) for about 335. Been driving with no engine skips all weekend. I had my sparks replaced like 6 months ago so did not replace them. I had bout the car about five years ago and had no history of a cassette replace from the previous owner so it really did need one...cleared the issue.