Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-3 2.0t

Exclamation Automatic Transmission Help

So I'm trying to check and possibly change the fluid in my Saab because of some hard shifting in manual mode. Doing some research pointed me to several set of instructions for the Aisin (AWTF80SC) transmission, seems to be the common type of transmission among 2006 9-3 2.0T 4dr Sedan's. Which is great because there's no end of instructions to servicing these types of transmissions. And my dad had even picked up a case of tranny oil because he was going to do it before giving me the car but he couldn't figure it out either so it's now my case of tranny oil. But something isn't adding up. First: I have no green dipstick that I can find. Period. With the engine cold I've felt around where it should be and there isn't even a hole where one might have been before. Which is good considering I've read there's no transmission filter in the Aisin so there'd be no dirt getting in there. But on the off chance I took a degreaser to the area and now I have a nice shiny aluminum casing peering through the hoses and wiring. Second: While I was under the car doing an oil change I looked over and noticed that there was not, in fact, a double hex bolt setup but a single socket style bolt that looked anywhere from 16mm to 20mm (really bad with sizes sorry) on the bottom of the transmission.

So now I'm confused because the only other transmission I could find for the same exact care is the AW55-50SN, which I can barely find any info on at all. So if anyone has any info on if this is indeed my transmission, how to tell, how to change the fluid and how to break it to my dad that he spent $150 for nothing then it would be greatly appreciated. Quick responses get warm sugar cookies. The gooey kind not the crunchy kind.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-3 2.0t
    So three things. One, I'm an idiot and should not try looking at the engine as if I were watching a YouTube video. The dipsticks lower which brings me to number two. I sprayed the wrong area but there's so much gunk around the dipstick that I may need to take it to the car wash and just hold the nozzle against the area with engine degreaser running through it for about 5 minutes. And three, I'm wondering if I posted this in the wrong section. At any rate I found what I was looking for.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    It should have been posted in the main workshop forum so I moved it there.