Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab(s)
    02 9-5 Wagon 2.3t Auto

How to: Trailer wiring using the OEM plug with out splicing

I must state this is just a theory right now as I have not completed the project to test it. But geez. It should work,,,lol.

Anyway. I've been reading about needing to use a trailer wiring module or it messes with the SID. You can get them where they get their power from the battery. Who wants to do that. And you still have to tap into your wiring with the "Scotch Lock" connectors being recommend. I hate those things. Or you can always splice and solder. What an ordeal.

You could buy the very expensive Saab unit that is plug and play. By all means the easiest and best. But big $$$ for something so simple. More than I care to spend.

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/3486...rness-4738829/

So after some searching I found a matching plug for the OEM harness that is in the spare tire area. But it's only there for up to a certain year.

Part #4410510. And the pins I think are #12790614. But I don't have the parts in my hand to confirm. But that's what pops up on Eeuro when you add the plug to your cart.

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/4664...-Pole-4410510/

These plugs are meant to be used on a 9-3 in different areas. What I did was go to the junkyard and found some on the power mirrors. There is a difference in the years though. Some have a metal backing plate that keeps you from easily gaining access to the wires. But other years you can just pull the rubber backing off and snip out the connector. Then if you want you can just put the pins where they need to be and splice the wires from the module in.

Of course using all new parts with no splicing or using wire connectors would be much cleaner.

So where to put the wires. You only need 4. I don't know what all those wires are for on the OEM plug.

Thanks to forum Saab Central member "messiguy01" for the pin out info and a picture we know where to put them. Also a guy named David Bartlett on the Saab World forum used a tester to figure out where everything went.

Here's a quote from him.

"I determined which wires do what at the plug. Here goes:

Yellow/White wire = Left turn
    Yellow/Brown wire = Right Turn
    Green/Purple wire = Stop
    Blue wire = Right tail
    Green wire = Left tail

Since the converter only has one taillight wire, I chose the small Green wire for the taillight hookup.

On the converter the wires go like this:

White = Ground
    BROWN = PARK/TAIL. Connect this to Green wire in car harness.
    YELLOW = LEFT TURN. Connect this to Yellow/White wire.
    RED= STOP. Connect this to Green/Purple wire.
    GREEN = RIGHT TURN. Connect this to Yellow/Brown wire".

Here's messiguy01's pic.

Here's a plug I got from a 9-3 power mirror in the junkyard.

So I think with this info you can choose a much cheaper wiring module. You don't need the kind that pics up power from the battery. Just pic your favorite and make you a plug for it.

Like I said. I have not tried it yet. I need too many other things before buying a hitch. I can't even decide which one I want.

So somebody build this thing and tell us how it works.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    The Saab harness used to be a lot cheaper at around $50. I have one of those and am curious to know what's inside. It is sealed so it will require some cutting. Not sure if anyone has done this before.

If I remember correctly, the Saab OEM harness was made by Draw-tite and they used to sell them under their own brand name.

Saab(s)
    02 9-5 Wagon 2.3t Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by nordwulf View Post
    The Saab harness used to be a lot cheaper at around $50. I have one of those and am curious to know what's inside. It is sealed so it will require some cutting. Not sure if anyone has done this before.

If I remember correctly, the Saab OEM harness was made by Draw-tite and they used to sell them under their own brand name.

Some were sold with the draw tite name, and some with the toe ready name.

I seen something on the net somewhere indicating they were both the same company.

I think I'm going to give them a call.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 S 2.0i 5D 1999, Saab 9-5 Vector Sport 2.0t 5D 2007
    Hi Quick Cal,

Well done on figuring out which plug you need for a 9-5. I've been struggling to find this as the EPC seemed to show it as 4587895 however, when we got it, it was a creamy coloured socket (so not black like in the picture of the OEM harness: http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...minal/1006793/) and the long and short plastic tags were the wrong way round (so a mirror image). It looks like the part number you've found (4410510) will do the job so well done on this! This item should be arriving very soon and so will let you know how it goes with a full write up on adding a tow bar to my 2007 9-5 estate, electrics and self levelling dampers

Cheers

Rodp

Saab(s)
    02 9-5 Wagon 2.3t Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    Hi Quick Cal,

Well done on figuring out which plug you need for a 9-5. I've been struggling to find this as the EPC seemed to show it as 4587895 however, when we got it, it was a creamy coloured socket (so not black like in the picture of the OEM harness: http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...minal/1006793/) and the long and short plastic tags were the wrong way round (so a mirror image). It looks like the part number you've found (4410510) will do the job so well done on this! This item should be arriving very soon and so will let you know how it goes with a full write up on adding a tow bar to my 2007 9-5 estate, electrics and self levelling dampers

Cheers

Rodp

I could be wrong, but I think the newer cars and ones from the UK are different.

Do you have the extra wiring harness in the spare tire compartment?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Hi Quick Cal,

Here's some pics of my socket and also of the wrong(!) plug. It should fit if the tags inside were the other way round. So I'm hoping that part 4410510 will fit. My supplier has put an order in from Sweden and will let me know.

Name:  tow bar socket 1.jpg
Views: 2924
Size:  32.1 KBName:  tow bar socket 2.jpg
Views: 2729
Size:  29.6 KB
    This is my socket in the boot - Saab 9-5 2007 vector sport estate

Name:  tow bar plug (wrong one) 4587895 and socket.jpg
Views: 2724
Size:  31.6 KB
    my socket with the wrong plug although on the EPC it did show the tags to be the right way round but when purchased and offered up it's not - doh!
    Name:  tow bar plug (wrong one) 4587895.jpg
Views: 2708
Size:  17.8 KB
    Last edited by rodp; 15 March 2017 at 15:57. Reason: labelling of pics

Saab(s)
    02 9-5 Wagon 2.3t Auto
    It looks like just that one alignment pin is in the wrong place. Is that correct? Do you have the special crimpers?

Here's some reading for you.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611850

Saab(s)
    02 9-5 Wagon 2.3t Auto
    Did you order the pins that go in the plug?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Hiya,

Thanks for the link, had a good read and read through the various other links and looked at the thumbnails of the pins and inside the black socket - All looks good and I still pretty confident that the black housing is the one I need.

Re the pins, yes, I got pins, 3 large and 7 smaller (plus a few spares!) when I bought the first housing so should be usable in the black housing when that arrives in the post.

These are the pins I've got
    Large pins (3x) SAAB Cable Terminal (1.0-2.5 mm2) - Genuine SAAB 12789934 (4115077)
    small pins (7x): SAAB Cable Terminal (0.5 - 1.0 mm2) - Genuine SAAB 12790614 (4115457)

Name:  Pin terminals 12789934 and 12790614.jpg
Views: 2720
Size:  31.7 KB

Taking this a stage further (and considering that Saab are wanting to charge £1 per pin!) I did some searching around for the equivalent pins (or at least what I think is the equivalent but can't be for sure)
    small pins: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100P...8.4.175.bAO3tR
    large pins: failed.... needs more research!

I think digikey might also have some equivalent pins but I don't really know the terminology I need to be using to filter down the range.

Name:  Crimpers2.jpg
Views: 2720
Size:  32.1 KB

This is the crimping tool I have, offering the pins up is making me think I'll need to get one which can handle smaller terminals, or failing that I'll solder the wires on. Can you suggest a suitable (cheap but good) crimping tool? perhaps something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Small...UAAOSwOgdYqFRo or http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d030...ted/dp/TL01486 or this but it's rather confusing as to which one is required! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-25-16mm2...8MkQ7_Lxxa0i8A

That's all for now

Rodp
    Last edited by rodp; 17 March 2017 at 11:24. Reason: crimpers image corrupt

Saab(s)
    02 9-5 Wagon 2.3t Auto
    Again. I don't know if the UK plug is the same as the U.S. version. So I'm not 100% sure what pins you will use.

But in the U.S. we use a 4 flat wire trailer plug. That being said I only used 4 small pins in the connector. No big pins are used unless you are doing something different than me.

The crimper I have is an "open barrel F-crimp" type. I can't tell what those are the you linked to. And I didn't see open barrel f crimp in the description. Might want to ask.

Here's where I got mine. Look under tools.

http://www.vintageconnections.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images