Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -

Angry 2006 9-3 Combi - Alarm keeps going off - Glass Break Sensor?

SO I am a little stumped on my own car. I have a 2006 9-3 Combi. The alarm keeps going off at random much like an older 9-5 and 9-3 would with a bad siren battery. VERY ANNOYING. I pull up on tech2 the last alarm trigger and it shows a full history from the Glass Break Sensor.

This is where it get's weird....

My car is NOT equipped with a glass break sensor, ultrasonic sensor or a tilt sensor.

Has anyone dealt with this issue - and short of "disabling the alarm system" - was there a fix?

I've tried re-adding the Theft Alarm and the BCM (same add it seems). No Luck.

Thanks!
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Suppose I'm ruled out for replying, not having dealt with this issue, however do I respond to your question with a another one ("NEVER answer a question with a question" ).

Your statement "NOT equipped with a glass break sensor -" is what draw my attention to the issue. The Saab description of the Anti-Theft Alarm (ATA) is: "Either the car is available without an alarm - or its equipped with (either of) two alternative levels, ATA 1 and ATA 2". What raises my attention is that both levels, with regard to the 5D, includes the glass breakage loop.

I'd be surprised if a 9-3 5D in your country wasn't equipped with ATA - including glass break sensor. Anyway, there is issued a Saab note with regard to (intermittent) false alarms pertaining to glass breakage, however not applicable for the issue in question in absence of glass break sensors

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Well my car DOES have the glass break loops in the glass - and that's what I'm wondering is the "sensor" in the 5D model which I have.

WIS information about the glass break loops;

Main task

Used by the anti-theft alarm to detect whether one of the rear side windows or the rear window has been broken.

If an attempt is made to break in the entire pane will crack because it is hardened. The glass breakage loop will also crack and this is detected by BCM, which activates the anti-theft alarm.

Type

Glass breakage loop

Connection

The glass breakage loops for the rear side windows (765RL/RR) and the rear window (765RC) are connected in series from BCM pin A31 to the rear left side window glass breakage loop (765RL) and then to the rear window glass breakage loop (765RC), which is connected to the rear right side window glass breakage loop (765RR). The glass breakage loop for the right side window (765RR) is connected to grounding point G34S via crimp J108.

The input for the glass breakage loop in BCM is an A/D converter with pull up resistor (1.2 kohm) to 10V. The PWM voltage pulses have a length of 3 ms and frequency 2 pulses per second. As long as the loops are intact, the voltage on the input is close to 0V but rises to almost 10V if they are broken.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 9-3 Aero View Post
    Your statement "NOT equipped with a glass break sensor -" is what draw my attention to the issue. The Saab description of the Anti-Theft Alarm (ATA) is: "Either the car is available without an alarm - or its equipped with (either of) two alternative levels, ATA 1 and ATA 2". What raises my attention is that both levels, with regard to the 5D, includes the glass breakage loop.

I'd be surprised if a 9-3 5D in your country wasn't equipped with ATA - including glass break sensor. Anyway, there is issued a Saab note with regard to (intermittent) false alarms pertaining to glass breakage, however not applicable for the issue in question in absence of glass break sensors
    Good call - I forgot to look there :-/

posted it on here;
    http://saabworld.net/f146/unwanted-a...-2006-a-29755/

Saab(s)
    Your're getting closer, I could point at the Saab issued "fix" / procedure for eliminating the false alarms as well. My problem is that I haven't copying access.

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    Your're getting closer, I could point at the Saab issued "fix" / procedure for eliminating the false alarms as well. My problem is that I haven't copying access.
    I highlight and drag - it's the cheat to "copy and paste" from WIS. Unless you use the WIS on Iris - then you CAN copy and paste.

Where is the "fix" or do you have a PIC#?

I have re-added the BCM tonight WITH ultrasonic sensor and then Re-Added it again without. It's in the building behind me armed and I'm waiting to see if it goes off. I have a feeling it's a temperature caused issue.

Saab(s)
    THANKS FOR THE TIP!!

Let's see if the WISs in question are somewhat equal: Electrical System \ Theft Protection \ Fault diagnosis, symptoms tab (in the middle of them all, if you have) \ False alarm due to glass breakage coil.

You may really be getting to the culprit of the issue, note: "Interchange of heat or vibration for example may also be factors triggering the alarm accidentally"

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    THANKS FOR THE TIP!!

Let's see if the WISs in question are somewhat equal: Electrical System \ Theft Protection \ Fault diagnosis, symptoms tab (in the middle of them all, if you have) \ False alarm due to glass breakage coil.

You may really be getting to the culprit of the issue, note: "Interchange of heat or vibration for example may also be factors triggering the alarm accidentally"
    AH HA! It's not in our hard copy - but IS on the WIS to WEB online version;

[FONT=Verdana]False alarm due to glass breakage coil[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Cars affected[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]9-3 5D[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Background[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]The alarm may be incorrectly triggered due to poor contact in the connectors for the glass breakage coils (765).[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Interchange of heat or vibration for example may also be factors triggering the alarm accidentally. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Fault symptom[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Customer: [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]- The alarm is triggered accidentally. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]- SID message "Anti-theft alarm activated". [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]- The fault may be permanent or intermittent. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Tech2: [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]- Diagnostic trouble code B0283 05 "Glass breakage coil, open circuit/short circuit to B+". [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]If diagnostic trouble code B0283 05 is generated then there is no fault in the anti-theft alarm sensor, UAM (690). [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]- Read out of alarm cause = "Glass breakage coil". If no diagnostic trouble code has been generated, the windows are intact but the car nevertheless triggered the anti-theft alarm. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Note[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]It is also possible that the fault arises without diagnostic trouble code B0283 05 being generated. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana] Procedure[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Note[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]The fault may be in the cable, but it is likely that it is a poor contact in the connectors for the glass breakage coils (765).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]1.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Unplug the female connector from the male connector. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Important[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Handle the cable with care.[/FONT]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]2.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]The male connector is affixed to the window and consists of two sections. Check that the outer section is not loose, use your fingertips, nail and turn. Position the male connector parallel with the window. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]3.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Spray the female connector with contact spray, see [FONT=Verdana] Contact Protect[/FONT]. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]4.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Plug the female connector into the male connector. The connector must snap in. Tighten the female connector if necessary.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]5.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Carry out steps 1 to 4 for the other connectors for the glass breakage coils.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    I'll pull the car apart more another night - I'm going to replace my cup holder and go home. Now I at least know where to go! I was hoping it would be a "corrosion" issue and not bad glass loops.

Saab(s)
    Good night - it's 1AM here!

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    I'll pull the car apart more another night - I'm going to replace my cup holder and go home. Now I at least know where to go! I was hoping it would be a "corrosion" issue and not bad glass loops.
    The loop I'd start with is the tailgate window, as the "slamming" of the gate and heat from the rear window element (if applicable) are factors which could have an impact on the connector. As a measure in verification of which loop (if any / or more than one) is causing the alarms, is one step to pull the female connector and loop (shortcircuit) pin 1/pin 2. This part of the ATA will of course be disabled, however now using the car in environment equal to the one when you experience the false alarms, may give no alarms.

Following this route, you may save some work, and avoid fiddling with the two other contacts on the glass breakage loop (there is only loop from my point of view - from ground to BCM A31). If it aint broken - don't touch it (slightly rephrased).

BTW: Note, there is issued a "Connector H102-1, pin/sleeve replacement" procedure, for a connector which just by a coincidence (?) is feeding the glass breakage loop ground (among other signals) to the BCM