Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    None Yet

Differences between years

I am looking at purchasing a low mileage 2001-2003 9-3 convertible (U.S.) I know there is a major redo on the 2004 (2003 non-US) but are there any notable changes/offering on the 2001-2002 and 2003 between years? I will be specifically interested in an SE with automatic so changes on other levels are not relevant, Thank you in advance!!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    In 2001 you get a real ignition key, 2003 you get a big fat rubbery transponder fob, you have major changes in ignition, infotainment, security and some trivial little things that aren't visually obvious.

Saab(s)
    None Yet
    Are the changes for 03 significant enough to warrant looking for an 03? Were the changes in any way correcting a shortcoming or problem on the earlier years?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by My3Buicks View Post
    Are the changes for 03 significant enough to warrant looking for an 03? Were the changes in any way correcting a shortcoming or problem on the earlier years?
    There are some significant changes and when it comes to shortcomings? I guess that depends on whether you are going to self maintain or have it done. You're looking at the differences between a 14 and 16 year old convertible and you're in Florida, you need a good top and good air. At that age, the condition of the car is more important than the differences, if you have a choice between the two, get the better of the two. From looking at the parts book and service manual, 03 was a transition year, I self maintain and know what I would look for to get the best of both worlds, someone else might say it was the worst, we all have personal opinions. Personally I don't like the transponder fob, but I have to admit that when you need a second key, it's easier to add a fob than to have a key copied and added to the car. All plastic headlight lenses eventually get foggy, get one with clear lenses.

From the name you post under I'm guessing that you're a GM Buick fan, maybe even an old Reatta or Riviera owner and you might already know most of what you need to know about these new millennium Saab's. Most of the stuff under the hood is GM, the immobilizing security system will take some getting used to and replacing a crank position sensor is a piece of cake.

Saab(s)
    None Yet
    Thanks, yes long time Buick collector, have had 36 vintage Buick's 5 of which have been Reatta's. Have had a couple vintage Volvo's and a couple of the retro Tbirds. This SAAB will be my "fun" car. Whatever year I buy will be low mileage(and mileage will play a significant factor in which I purchase as well as interior/exterior color since I don't want dark colors). I am in the process of moving to Florida, I wish that the move was complete because there's a 2002 with 25k miles I would love to look at currently for sale in Florida. Thanks for your input!!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Here's a little Saab Reatta comparison, when Reatta hit the road Saab was using the same brake system and the accumulator under the Saab part number was twice the price as the identical Buick, Pontiac part. A couple of years ago GM discontinued these part numbers, GM didn't make the part they sold and accumulators are still available from the same and other manufacturers. Even today, buying that aftermarket part under the Saab number cost more than it does under a Ford, Chrysler, or Pontiac part number.

The Saab infotainment system is the Reatta information center with all the bugs worked out and none of the useful information. There is a hack for the Saab Trionic 7 engine computer that will display all that good information through the "infotainment center" haven't found one for newer the Trionic 8 and I'm still looking.

The Saab maintains with the same GM tool that's used on your newer vintage Buicks, but the Saab has its own programing card and you can save a small fortune by getting your own Tech 2 and wherever possible finding other GM part numbers for your normal parts needs. First time you use it you will wonder how you ever fixed anything on the Reatta without it.

Best of luck on finding your fun in the sun Saab.