Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Several! An '86 900, a '96 900, an '05 9-5...

Car bought without a key.

Hello All!
    I suspect this question has been posed many a time. (But shall still ask!) I bought a 2002 9-5 without a key, at auction. Previous owner may have a key, but have no paperwork to locate them. So I have a complete 9-5 (also a 2002) with its entire ignition system intact. Can the TWICE, ECU, SID, ignition key and tumbler (even the radio!) be transferred, "plug and play", into this recently-purchased 9-5.... without any need for SPS programming?

Grateful for your thoughts! rob in winnipeg

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    No. You need a tech II as well.
    Today on Sasb Central there is a guy with the same issue. Check out the replies. That Wii get you where u want to b Ed.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Several! An '86 900, a '96 900, an '05 9-5...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brennan View Post
    No. You need a tech II as well.
    Today on Sasb Central there is a guy with the same issue. Check out the replies. That Wii get you where u want to b Ed.
    thanks for your reply, Mike! I did check out your lead to Saab Central... and that fellow's situation seems slightly different. I have a complete car, from which I can transfer all the electronics required (including the ECU) whereas he wants to install a replacement TWICE and its associated key/s. (And he's being told he only needs a Tech 2 alone to accomplish the marrying of his "new" TWICE to his car. I had thought the SPS programming was needed as well?)

The question I have in my mind: if every electronic component that the TWICE communicates with (before the starter is allowed to engage) is transferred from one vehicle to another, identical model vehicle, how does the TWICE know it (and the ECU, radio, key, etc) it has been transferred? What is it that prevents (or might prevent) the TWICE from operating in the "receiving" car (even after every component has been transferred as well)?

This is me, being curious!

John Dudek
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    '99 9-3 se, '99 9-3 s, '03 9-3 se vert sport package
    I think you would have to swap the Twice, Dice, ECU, and the transponder from the key to maybe make it work.

You would want to have a new key cut to the vin of your new car and use just the chip from your parts vehicle's key. I however am not sure that this would work. There is a company online that you can send your twice module to.

http://www.lostsaabkeys.com/

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi

Saab(s)
    (2) 2007 9-3 2.0T, 2004 9-3 Aero, 2006 9-3 Aero V6, 2003 9-3 2.0T ARC, 2005 9-3 2.0t, 2003 9-5 Linea
    It will work as long as all the electronics are swapped from one to the other. The TWICE, ECU, ABS Module (it's Vin coded as well) transmission control module (also VIN coded) ignition control module as well as the ignition switch/tumblers, SID, Radio Head Unit. It sounds like a lot of work but it's not it's about 3-3.5 hours worth of work switching electronics out for a newbie working with a Saab but it will work without tech 2 if u replace all control modules that r directly linked to ignition/starting. Door control modules etc will communicate still and work but if hooked up to a tech2 after swap it will tell u to add those modules as soon as possible. Good luck! :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk