Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Stephen
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 Convertible

Turn signal issues - again

Still having troubles with my 08 9-3 Aero convertible turn signals. Now consistently while in centre (neutral) / left turn signal stalk position indicating left turn, right turn signal stalk position providing no turn indicator. It was an intermittent issue but is now consistently indicating incorrectly.

I took car into Saab mechanic who diagnosed a $1000+ SIM replacement, but I'm not confident this is the issue, as someone earlier had written they had same problem, took out the SIM, cleaned the signal contacts and it worked fine after that. Also are SIM replacements this expensive?

I'm not sure how to go about cleaning the turn signal contacts. If anyone has experience with this and can share the details, or has another idea on the cause and repair of the issue, all greatly appreciated.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Shop time costs money no matter what part of the country you're in and some parts more than others. Figure several hours for the R&R, along with the price of the part and it adds up real quick.

You might be able to clean this switch up and get it working, but shop mechanics have to stand behind their work and you pretty much need to be personal friends with your mechanic to get them to open up a module to repair the innards on the chance they can get it working and that it will continue working.

If you are going to take this on yourself, I suggest getting a SIM that doesn't have a key. First time you open something that wasn't built to be opened, your odds of breaking something important are a lot greater than they are the second time. Seen these in the used market for about $100 and if cleaning the contacts doesn't work, you will need the switch innards to put yours back together.
    Last edited by Digger; 13 July 2017 at 17:02.