Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    07 9-5 2.3L Wagon

Exclamation Keys Not Recognized - '07 9-5

Problem: All (3) of my keys are no longer recognized when attempting to start my car. I do not have the resources (read: money) to send to a dealer.

Symptoms:
    1. Receive SID message "Key Not Recognized, Contact Dealer."
    2. Car will try to turn over but doesn't.

History: Was experiencing the following intermittent, strange events in the car 1 -3 weeks prior to problem:
    1. Night panel activated (was not selected) upon car start. Selected and then de-selected Night panel and dash indications restored to normal.
    2. All dash warning lights illuminated upon car start AND engine performance was reduced. Would occur 2-3 times in a row and finally cease after I turned off engine and restarted car.
    3. All power cut out when making a moderate right turn downhill. Stop and restarted A-OK.

Troubleshooting:
    1. All key fob batteries OK
    2. Replaced car battery (was failing)

Anyone able to help?

I have a laptop with TIS-2000 and a borrowed Tech 2. Issue is that the Tech 2 intermittently communicated with car.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Warning lights, keys not recognized, loss of power while making turn, from the way I understand your reported symptoms you have a bad connection and it could take you hours to find and a couple of dollars to fix.

Start with the battery cables, take them off, clean the connections and put them back on tight, that include the starter motor and engine block ground connect If that doesn't get you going, do the same thing to every ground connect under the hood, then one at a time unplug and re plug every relay under the hood. If that doesn't get you going get your hands on a light tester and a volt meter, going to need to look at things that can't be seen by the naked eye.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    This may be different issues that are not related to each other.

Just a bit of a wild guess but check the connection and wires for the transponder at the ignition barrel. That's the part that looks for the chip in your key remote.

http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=26395

When all lights come on on the dash, the ABS module may be failing. It can happen a few times in a row and then be fine again for a while.

http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=27574

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    totally agree with Frank, don't forget to read the first post link to the end, some deeper instructions how to dig in it are on next pages...

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by swisssaabist View Post
    totally agree with Frank, don't forget to read the first post link to the end, some deeper instructions how to dig in it are on next pages...
    Hey Swiss, Are you still shopping or have you found a good Tech 2 and software.

This guy is a one problem poster, has a Tech 2 with TIS 2000 so he might have already fixed the problem and we might never know if he did. I did like the first link too, wish the transponder pick up on the fob switches were a separate part and as easy to access. Though when push comes to shove it's easier to replace the ignition switch on an 07 than it is an 02.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    07 9-5 2.3L Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by nordwulf View Post
    This may be different issues that are not related to each other.

Just a bit of a wild guess but check the connection and wires for the transponder at the ignition barrel. That's the part that looks for the chip in your key remote.

http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=26395

When all lights come on on the dash, the ABS module may be failing. It can happen a few times in a row and then be fine again for a while.

http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=27574
    Wow and thanks muy mucho, nordwulf! These sound like the culprits...and explains why the Tech 2 couldn't communicate with the ABS.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    07 9-5 2.3L Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by swisssaabist View Post
    Shall do!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Hey Swiss, Are you still shopping or have you found a good Tech 2 and software.

This guy is a one problem poster, has a Tech 2 with TIS 2000 so he might have already fixed the problem and we might never know if he did. I did like the first link too, wish the transponder pick up on the fob switches were a separate part and as easy to access. Though when push comes to shove it's easier to replace the ignition switch on an 07 than it is an 02.
    well came back from holidays, money is at very low level for awhile I dig in it when i have more than that right now !!

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    did your problem have been fixed ?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    aspiring
    Posting since possibly related - I've had a couple of times recently when the remote lock wasn't working. Once or twice here and there, and then the other day pretty consistent all day long. Back to working just fine since.