Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E

a new ANDROID updated head unit for today needs

https://www.amazon.com/Multifunctional-Bluetooth-Navigation-Aftermarket-Capacitive/dp/B072DRTP56?tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-20

Here is a new unit working easily for head unit replacement, easy to install, at the best of capabilities for today needs,GPS, RADIO,compatible for using steering wheel he new head unit is basically a large screen Android tablet. It fits almost perfectly into the opening left by the stock radio.

Installation was very straightforward. You will want an adapter to connect to the stock wiring harness - they are widely available - and directions are widely available on the Saab forums around for how to get signals for illumination, steering wheel controls, etc. routed the wiring for the backup camera up through the hatch, and then along the passenger side floor, under the glovebox and through to the head unit. The GPS goes under the drivers side speaker cover. The hands-free microphone goes in the drivers side A pillar.

back up camera : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072MKC9SP...vert-amazon-20
    it connects directly to the tap on the SID connector to get access to the steering wheel control resistor network - it can learn the controls directly without requiring an adapter like the PAC SW-I.

So after installing - you have a now have new headunit that can play music and videos from either local storage or the Internet - including Spotify and Youtube. It has google maps and Waze - you can download and run any Android application. You can install two USB devices, like memory sticks or a dash camera, and also a micro-SD storage card. The radio is a bit confusing but works well. You can get Internet from either your cell phone or you can buy a USB-based 4G dongle, or you can wire in a wifi hotspot).
    Some of the included software is a bit wonky and took a while to good around with.

So you have a super modern, internet connected head unit. With much upgraded sound. All in all - a very nice upgrade.

Saab Enthusiast lowrider_rt2000's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3
    Do you have pictures of the install?

Sent from my 9-3

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    Sorry no pictures but it works it come with a double din.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 2006 1.9 TiD
    You're not the only one Mine also got upgraded as the original Denso navigation system died.
    I've done the installation by myself, saving original connectors and connecting RCA preouts directly to the amplifier - all plays beautifully, no hissing noises whatsoever.
    Only thing I've lost are the radio buttons on the steering wheel.

Wysłane z iPad za pomocą Tapatalk

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    with that unit everything works even the SW buttons

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 2006 1.9 TiD
    Now I didn't say the radio does not have the standard SW buttons interface, it's just how those buttons are operating.
    In case of my model (2006 FL 9-5) the communication between the SW and the original Denso nav is going over the CAN bus :-(
    And the installation was also a little bit tricky... I did use the widely available ISO adapter, but it does not support the Denso connectors, as it had 2 different plugs and Denso uses 2 identical 16 pin ones (excluding the third, strictly for the CD changer). So it's a little bit harder than just a simple plug and play, but nothing too bad as you have the connections explained on a sticker on the Denso nav - cables had to be reorganized on the connectors.
    Also (thankfully) those Chinese Android headunits are using 2V RCA preouts so it can be safely connected directly to the factory amplifier, using a simple RCA <-> naked cable pair adapter.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G950F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Saab(s)
    2003 9-3 arc
    Would this work with the 2003 model?

Quote Originally Posted by swisssaabist View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Multifunctional-Bluetooth-Navigation-Aftermarket-Capacitive/dp/B072DRTP56?tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-20

Here is a new unit working easily for head unit replacement, easy to install, at the best of capabilities for today needs,GPS, RADIO,compatible for using steering wheel he new head unit is basically a large screen Android tablet. It fits almost perfectly into the opening left by the stock radio.

Installation was very straightforward. You will want an adapter to connect to the stock wiring harness - they are widely available - and directions are widely available on the Saab forums around for how to get signals for illumination, steering wheel controls, etc. routed the wiring for the backup camera up through the hatch, and then along the passenger side floor, under the glovebox and through to the head unit. The GPS goes under the drivers side speaker cover. The hands-free microphone goes in the drivers side A pillar.

back up camera : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072MKC9SP...vert-amazon-20
    it connects directly to the tap on the SID connector to get access to the steering wheel control resistor network - it can learn the controls directly without requiring an adapter like the PAC SW-I.

So after installing - you have a now have new headunit that can play music and videos from either local storage or the Internet - including Spotify and Youtube. It has google maps and Waze - you can download and run any Android application. You can install two USB devices, like memory sticks or a dash camera, and also a micro-SD storage card. The radio is a bit confusing but works well. You can get Internet from either your cell phone or you can buy a USB-based 4G dongle, or you can wire in a wifi hotspot).
    Some of the included software is a bit wonky and took a while to good around with.

So you have a super modern, internet connected head unit. With much upgraded sound. All in all - a very nice upgrade.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    why not

Saab(s)
    2003 9-3 arc
    Just heard about a few issues with the fiber optic cables if you disconnect them from the OEM head unit (2003). New to the Saab world so I’m not to familiar with everything yet.

Quote Originally Posted by swisssaabist View Post
    why not

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by jjohannsen00 View Post
    Just heard about a few issues with the fiber optic cables if you disconnect them from the OEM head unit (2003). New to the Saab world so I’m not to familiar with everything yet.
    I can't say anything nice about the 9-3 radio with phone buttons that will never work and the station display a foot above the radio, except to say that if find an aftermarket radio that will fit the hole and work with the car, I will buy it.
    Last edited by Digger; 03 December 2018 at 03:56.