Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    Prospective Buyer

Advice on prospective purchase 2005 Saab 9-3

Hi, I am looking at purchasing a 2005 Saab 93 OT with 164,000 miles, two owners and no accidents except a minor fender bender (all noted on a carfax report). Local dealer is asking $2800. I've read some of the listed older threads and this seems like a reasonable purchase, but could anyone weigh in with general suggestions, specifically about the high miles?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Internet opinions will give you a generic idea of value, but the best answer you can get on value is the one that comes from someone who knows Saab's and the local market.

The Saab 2.0 is a GM 4 popper with a turbo and when properly cared for these things last a long, long time. 164K on a 12 year old car is only a hair over 1,100 miles a month average and though 164 is a large number, 1,100 a month is a reasonable average for normal daily driving, if there is such a thing still exists. Basically, if the car has been properly maintained it could easily have a good 100k miles of life left in the engine. That said, every car new or used is a crap shoot, you get lucky, or you don't and every used car is sold or traded for a reason, so if you're not a good mechanic have it checked by someone who knows Saab's.

I'm guessing that location SLC is Salt Lake City like the airport designation and Utah uses road salt like we do in Minnesota, so get the thing up on a hoist and give the engine cradle a good looking over, even a well maintained car will rust and daily drivers don't always get washed regularly in the winter. When buying used the number of miles sets a book value, how those miles got on the car sets the real value. In salt country the condition of the cradle will tell you a lot about how well the car was cared for since new.

Now the question is $2,800 a reasonable price for the vehicle, at this age and mileage that is entirely dependent on condition and that's something that takes a hands on look see full car examination. A good across the board average cost to do all preventive and deferred maintenance on any used car is $1,100. If the car you are looking at doesn't. or won't need tires, brakes, shocks, struts, headlight lenses, hoses, or any of the other average deferred maintenance in the next 12 months, 28 could be a great price, if it has any kind of mechanical or electrical issue, 28 could be a grand over priced and there are some questions that can't be answered with an internet posting.

Saab Enthusiast lowrider_rt2000's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3
    Quote Originally Posted by American Unicorn View Post
    Hi, I am looking at purchasing a 2005 Saab 93 OT with 164,000 miles, two owners and no accidents except a minor fender bender (all noted on a carfax report). Local dealer is asking $2800. I've read some of the listed older threads and this seems like a reasonable purchase, but could anyone weigh in with general suggestions, specifically about the high miles?
    My 05 9-3 has roughly the same miles on it. Digger said it all! See if you can get a look under the car for major rust. Look to see if the belt or hoses were changed. Ask what service has been done to the car by them. Plugs, coolant and oil change would be my questions. If you want to take pics of the car and post on here for info do that too. Miles wouldn't bother me. Now a days cars are going well over 200k miles no problems.

Sent from my 9-3