Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Saab Fan lowrider_rt2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    29 May 2017
    Location
    7one7 area
    Posts
    47
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3
    Thumbs Up:   7

    2005 9-3t 5 speed shift knob removal

    Hello again. I have tried searching on here, Google and YouTube and cannot find the information I need. I want to replace the pealing & shredded leather shift boot on my car with a new leather one I ordered. I just can't seem to find out how to remove the shift knob anywhere. The picture is the new boot I ordered. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I do not want to mess anything up.

    Sent from my 9-3

    0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Saab Owner Digger's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Oct 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis Minnesota
    Posts
    394
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 SportCombi
    Thumbs Up:   85
    Remove the shift pattern cap, then remove the screw, then pull straight up.
    The car is 12 years old and even when new the question is always, can you get it apart without messing anything up. Depending on how much time in the sun over the past 12 years this might be a little more difficult than when new, so be careful with the cap.

    0 Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Saab Fan lowrider_rt2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    29 May 2017
    Location
    7one7 area
    Posts
    47
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3
    Thumbs Up:   7
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Remove the shift pattern cap, then remove the screw, then pull straight up.
    The car is 12 years old and even when new the question is always, can you get it apart without messing anything up. Depending on how much time in the sun over the past 12 years this might be a little more difficult than when new, so be careful with the cap.
    So much for the screw theory. There's no screw anywhere.

    Sent from my 9-3

    0 Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Saab Owner Digger's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Oct 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis Minnesota
    Posts
    394
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 SportCombi
    Thumbs Up:   85
    I've only once seen one of these in pieces and not on a Saab this new.
    So I'm looking at the EPC, it shows the gear shift rod with what looks like screw thread on the knob end and it doesn't show the cap as a two piece part. It seems to be the same picture for every year and from what comes next, I'm guessing there is still a hole in the center of the shift rod shaft.
    So I'm looking at the WIS reading up on how to replace the gear lever knob and it says to cut away the rubber center I've never seen before, drill a hole that isn't there anymore and supply your own screw because the knob is now glued on, not screwed on. The WIS has instructions location, size and depth of hole you need to drill to place the self tapping screw that runs into the off center hole to pry the knob off the shaft.
    Already tried attaching instructions with picture from the WIS, but this posting won't accept my PDF as an image and when I scan the print to image, the file is to large to post
    Attached Images Attached Images

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Digger; 06 September 2017 at 04:05.

  5. #5
    Frank
    Saab Enthusiast nordwulf's Avatar
    Join Date
    30 Jul 2010
    Location
    NW Michigan, USA
    Posts
    7,446
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Thumbs Up:   39
    You have to go to the Advanced posting or editing mode to attach files like pdf.

    http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?...full=1#post225

    1 Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Saab Fan lowrider_rt2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    29 May 2017
    Location
    7one7 area
    Posts
    47
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3
    Thumbs Up:   7
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    I've only once seen one of these in pieces and not on a Saab this new.
    So I'm looking at the EPC, it shows the gear shift rod with what looks like screw thread on the knob end and it doesn't show the cap as a two piece part. It seems to be the same picture for every year and from what comes next, I'm guessing there is still a hole in the center of the shift rod shaft.
    So I'm looking at the WIS reading up on how to replace the gear lever knob and it says to cut away the rubber center I've never seen before, drill a hole that isn't there anymore and supply your own screw because the knob is now glued on, not screwed on. The WIS has instructions location, size and depth of hole you need to drill to place the self tapping screw that runs into the off center hole to pry the knob off the shaft.
    Already tried attaching instructions with picture from the WIS, but this posting won't accept my PDF as an image and when I scan the print to image, the file is to large to post
    Really!? All that to get a knob off!? That's crazy!

    Sent from my 9-3

    0 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Saab Owner Digger's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Oct 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis Minnesota
    Posts
    394
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 SportCombi
    Thumbs Up:   85
    This protects your valuable shift knob theft and all security is done for the owners benefit, that or it saved GM a nickel a car.

    PDF added
    Shift Knob.pdf

    0 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Saab Owner Digger's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Oct 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis Minnesota
    Posts
    394
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 SportCombi
    Thumbs Up:   85
    Quote Originally Posted by nordwulf View Post
    You have to go to the Advanced posting or editing mode to attach files like pdf.

    http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?...full=1#post225
    Advanced posting doesn't seem to like my windows 10, editing mode worked just fine.

    0 Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Saab Fan lowrider_rt2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    29 May 2017
    Location
    7one7 area
    Posts
    47
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3
    Thumbs Up:   7
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    This protects your valuable shift knob theft and all security is done for the owners benefit, that or it saved GM a nickel a car.

    PDF added
    Shift Knob.pdf
    For some reason I cannot open this. Anyone know why?

    Sent from my 9-3

    0 Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Ivan
    Saab Enthusiast
    Join Date
    16 Jan 2012
    Location
    London, Canada
    Posts
    171
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero Sedan (R.I.P.), 2006 9-5 2.3T Sport, 2008 9-3 Aero SC
    Thumbs Up:   0
    Are you having issue with just this PDF or all PDFs? I'm able to open it without issue.

    Side note, my shift knob popped off a while back while driving (fun). I refit it using the cold weld epoxy. Try applying some upward pressure on the knob, as the factory loctite may have lost its bonding like in my case.

    0 Not allowed!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. making a new shift knob
    By frogbear in forum Saab 9-3 (2003-2014)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07 August 2017, 05:13
  2. Speed shift
    By anderssonossredn in forum Saab 9-5 (1998-2009)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10 June 2017, 06:36
  3. Shift boot removal 2006 9-3 Aero 6 speed
    By RSM in forum Saab 9-3 (2003-2014)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10 April 2016, 00:13
  4. Radio knob removal '03 9-5
    By Laarry in forum Saab 9-5 (1998-2009)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18 August 2014, 22:25
  5. Where can I buy new shift knob?!
    By knutlovhoiden in forum Saab 9-3 (2003-2014)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24 December 2011, 20:46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:01.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.5
Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions Inc. All rights reserved.