Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

2010-2011 Saab 9-5 NG: service, repair, parts and reliability

Please share your experiences with repairs and service for your 2nd generation Saab 9-5. I think it will be helpful for potential new and existing owners to determine if buying one of these Saabs new or used is a reasonable safe choice for the near future.

Talk about:

• experiences at (former) Saab dealers, other brand dealers or independent garages
    • availability and prices of parts, parts from other makes (Opel, Buick)
    • warranty coverage and acceptance of aftermarket warranties
    • experience with diagnostics (i.e. Tech II)
    • contents and usefulness of the WIS
    • experience with repairing and servicing yourself
    • reliability of your Saab 9-5

Feel free to add any additional information you think is important for potential Saab 9-5 owners.

Jamie
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-5 Vetor SE 2011
    Hello Frank,

I have a UK 9-5 2.0 Tid with quite few extras...I have had no problems so far, and I have spent some time removing items such as the brake pads, discs, air filter, oil filter etc to note down and cross reference part numbers...so far all of them cross match to Vauxhall Insignia parts.

I also did some research on the space saver wheels and found that BMW share the same stud patern, I have purchased a 16" bmw wheel, a 4mm wheel spacer and an almost new jack kit from a saab 9-3 for less than £60 and it all fits rather well.

My car has the smallest brakes so I would suggest for models with bigger brakes that you go for a 17" space saver otherwise it may foul on the calipers. The wheel spacer was needed on mine to stop the 16" wheel catching the caliper.

Windscreens are also now available in the UK.

Regards
    Jamie
    'From a time that man forgot comes the man who forgets the time'

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 NG Sedan & 9-3 Convertible
    Hey,
    Just to let people know our experience with our car, we had a front seat heater failure the other month. The part took two and a half weeks from problem identification to delivery from Sweden to Melbourne Australia. The repair is covered under warranty. We have done 30K km so far this year and the car has been a delight to do interstate trips in especially, for the back seat passenger! Such a difference to the trip compare to the previous 9-5 wagon we had. BTW I am noticing that the upper leather on the steering wheel is starting to wear quickly and I think it won't be long before it starts to come off. This is the only interior quibble so far. Has any one else noticed such wear and tear on the steering wheel?
    Regards
    John

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Hey washing the car today I noticed an oily liquid on the drive, so I backed up the car and it was an oily leak. Rang the dealer and they said bring it in for a look. Unfortunately, they discovered that the seals on the steering rack are leaking power steering fluid. So it goes in on Tuesday to get new seals. All covered under warranty.
    I thought this is an unusual defect/repair given we have only travelled 34K. Any one know about steering rack seals and their longevity? Anyhow apart from that we just travelled 2K over Christmas and the car is very comfortable for long distance traveling.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Hi,
    Picked the car up last week from the dealer and they took the steering rack out and replaced the seals, so this has fixed the leak. All of which was covered under warranty. The dealer has been very good I must say, very efficient and parts have not been a problem. Hopefully this is the last of the annoying little problems. Being the first of a new model of car I expect some little problems, that under normal circumstances would be rectified as the service notices go out to the dealers to update the cars. Anyhow that is part of the risk when buying this car. However, overall I am very happy with the car, particularly the long distance travelling for which is a gem!

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Driver's Seat Heater Grid/Pads are failing
    Third Brake Light Failures - LED/Circuit issues
    Radio problems - not too often, btut a few
    Lots of Brake Bulbs Burning out
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    '91 9kT, '10 9-5 Aero
    Yeah the non LED brake lights have gone out atleast once on each side so far (45k miles), everything else on the list other than the radio hasn't happened. I'm thinking i'm going to rig up some resistors as to not throw a code and delete the non led turn signal.

Saab(s)
    NG 9-5
    Anything more in depth on the drivers heated seat failing? Mine cuts on for about a full minute and you can hear a relay i'm guessing under the steering console click then it turns off.The passenger side however works fine.

Saab(s)
    2011 9-5 9-4 X
    Im having the same problem with my drivers heated seat. It keeps cutting out, any suggestions?

Saab(s)
    2010 Saab 9-5 Aero
    2010 9-5 Aero 52k.

Drivers seat heater out
    Rear taillight bulb(not LED) replaced
    Third Brake light has 2-3 leds out, thankfully right in middle so it looks designed that way
    Center portion LED trunk bar out
    NAV issues: clock, home city, etc.
    Occasionally shift lever doesnt actuate park position sensor