Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Wagon 2.3T I4 (B235E)
    Thumbs Up:   0

Question Replacing CPS solved finicky starts, but just had one on 2001 9-5 Wagon

I was having issues with the Wagon not starting after short trips, and researched the crankshaft position sensor (CPS) problem. I bought the real BOSCH replacement part from eeuro and after some swearing with this easy job, fitted the replacement. After the fix, all was well for about 2 months. No more issues with non-starts.

Just this week, I parked the car for about 45 minutes and when I returned to start it, the issue was back. It seemed to start right back up after about 30 minutes of just hanging out, trying to start it every now and again, pushing in the shifter button and going through the gears. Opened the hood just to make sure the new connector/wire wasn't compromised in some way. Was about to fit my emergency IC just to check that, but it started right up.

New battery and all else works fine - no other issues and no codes after checking. Only thing is I feel that it runs a tiny bit rough at first after fitting the new CPS.

Any ideas, anyone?

0 Not allowed!
    2001 9-5 Wagon

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 Wagon
    Thumbs Up:   66
    Even new sensors can go bad, but my first guess at the cause of this problem with a recent Bosch replacement is the plug connection. Lots of heating and cooling goes on under the hood and the female plug sockets do tend to get a little loose with time. Give the female connects on the questionable socket a bit of snugging and see if the problem goes away and stays away,

1 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Wagon 2.3T I4 (B235E)
    Thumbs Up:   0
    Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure how much more snug I can make the connection, since it has the odd slider clip -- and it seems to be in place just fine. I do recall some trouble in getting the old one off (the slider clip seemed to have a double "step" lock in it rather than one smooth slide), but nothing that alarmed me.

Stopped to get gas and the non-start happened again today. I fiddled with the connections with no joy. Then I left the hood open for about 15 minutes and she started right up.

Does eeuroparts take things like sensors back on a return? I'm just going to order a new part and hope they will take the defective one back. I'd be happy with a discount at this point. changing that sensor was a PITA, but I'm sure now I could do it in about 30 mins.

edit: eeuro does take sensors back but I never had the chance to process it through them because I bought it somewhere else! I'm going to reach out to see if I can get a refund processed once I return the old one. New Genuine BOSCH part ordered through Amazon for $71.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by AT ONE SIR; 1 Week Ago at 22:27. Reason: eeuro parts exchange
    2001 9-5 Wagon