Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    94x

A/C not blowing really cold air

Anyone have a problem with the a/c not blowing really cold air?
    Last edited by nordwulf; 01 June 2013 at 01:35. Reason: moved posts to new thread

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 Saab 9-4X Aero
    Nope

Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium, 2010 9-5 Aero, 2008 TurboX SC
    Quote Originally Posted by treeska View Post
    Anyone have a problem with the a/c not blowing really cold air?
    Ha. Timely post. As this just happened again. But first, the backstory ...
    Last year ... Labor Day weekend ... drove into 95 degree heat and the fans just stopped blowing. We turned the AC off and then on again, and the fans were working again, but we got the "venting" effect and honestly the car never cooled the same since. The fans cut out several other times on the weekend trip, but we could always reactivate them by powering the AC off, waiting 5 seconds, and powering one. Fall turned into winter and with temperatures here between 50-70, the AC was adequate, but this spring I noticed it was becoming inadequete. However, the fans were blowing.

So ... we took it into our dealer this past Saturday, who captured the R-134 refrigerant, measured it, checked for leaks, etc. There is dye in the system, so checking for leaks was pretty easy ... no leaks. However, we were nearly 0.4 (something) short of our refrigerant, which they said was a lot, and they added that back in and the AC was working fine in the 70/80s we drove in through last weekend.

Now that it hit 90s again, the AC is again not blowing really cold air ... so we still have a problem.

On the Caddy forums, they have the same problem as we have ... some have fan issues, some have not-so-cool air issues, but the solutions have varied from a software upgrade, to a compressor, to an all new system. Of course, those were repaired under warranty.

This may be the issue that gets me to buy the Saab Secure plan, as the AC is covered in three of the four plans they offer. This is my only issue with the amazing 9-4X Premium XWD that we own.

If you learn anything, please let me know.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    94x
    what is the Saab secure plan?
    Ive been doing some research and the SRX has a problem with t's accummulator or drier they say if you replace it and the expansion valve it will fit it. I have not tried it yet though I need to talk to my mechanic

Saab(s)
    Here are the plans: http://www.saabparts.com/Global/PDF/...Generic_v2.pdf

Price is set by the Saab dealerships.

I've read about the accumulators and/or drier issues on the Caddys. This is where not having our factory warranty hurts.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    94x
    did you fix your a/c if so what was wrong

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by treeska View Post
    did you fix your a/c if so what was wrong
    I have not fixed it. It cools to about 5-10 degrees of the outside air. So when it is 95 outside, it will cool us to 85-90. When it is 80 out, it will keep us around 70.

I will likely get the Saab Secure plan, wait my 30 days, and get it fixed.

Once it is fixed, I'll post it up here. If you beat me to the punch, please do the same.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1994 900 Conv, 2009 9-5, 2011 9-4x
    I am having what sounds like the same problem. Local dealer wanted to replace the compressor for $800.
    I had another shop check and refill...1/2 pound low on refrigerent...working fine now, but we will see how long it lasts....

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasrapp View Post
    I am having what sounds like the same problem. Local dealer wanted to replace the compressor for $800.
    I had another shop check and refill...1/2 pound low on refrigerent...working fine now, but we will see how long it lasts....
    Interesting that you and I were both ~1/2 pound low on refrigerant. My cooling lasted about 1K miles and now we are back to luke cool air. I just bought the Saab Secure plan for $1395 (3 years/36K miles) to defend against being handed an $800 compressor bill, which is what I fear. We'll get it fixed the week of July unless it starts cooling properly on its own again, which it had done on occasion in the past.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x, 2008 9-3 Aero, had 2005 9-3 Arc, '93 9000CSE, '86 9000Turbo
    You guys have me paranoid. Holding my hand in front of the vents its cold and I can't keep my hand there very long, but the cabin still feels warm.

How cold should the air blowing out of the vents be? What is the best way to measure? When it was 85 degrees F out with high humidity (so it felt like it was in the mid 90's out and difficult to breath), using an infrared thermometer and aiming it in the vents, I get temps ranging from 45 degrees F, to 60 degrees F. I've even seen some readings as low as 35 degrees F and lower, but not sure how accurate that is.