Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 Vector

2003 Saab 9-3 engine code P0340 car does not have DIC

Hi, I am new here and am in need of help figuring out what is wrong with my daughters car. It is a 2003 Saab 9-3 Vector 2.0T. I am getting code P0340, and everything I am finding on the internet is telling me to replace the DIC and spark plugs, there is only one problem with that, the car does not have a DIC on it, it has 4 individual coil packs on it. And I am unable to locate any camshaft position sensor on the car, I can't even find a listing for a replacement one in any parts stores.When this code first came on I also had A code for the coolant temp. sensor which I replaced, and also a code telling me I had a misfire detection on 1or2 cylinder, I replaced both coil packs on #1 and #2 cylinders and that took care of that issue. As far as symptoms associated with this code P0340, i am having a loss in power and what seems like a rapid misfire. Currently P0340 is the only engine code I have. Any and all help with this issue would be much appreciated.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    You do get codes for these, but you don't have a cam position or separate knock sensor on this engine. You do have 4 plugs, coil packs and an ION module that work in harmony with the engine controller to mystically perform these functions.

With code P0340 your engine controller limits torque and you loose a good third of your available power. When you replaced coil packs did you use aftermarket or genuine Saab and are all 4 coil packs the same manufacturer?

You didn't mention replacing spark plugs, but if you did, which ones did you use and were you ultra meticulous in checking and setting the plug gap?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 Vector
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    You do get codes for these, but you don't have a cam position or separate knock sensor on this engine. You do have 4 plugs, coil packs and an ION module that work in harmony with the engine controller to mystically perform these functions.

With code P0340 your engine controller limits torque and you loose a good third of your available power. When you replaced coil packs did you use aftermarket or genuine Saab and are all 4 coil packs the same manufacturer?

You didn't mention replacing spark plugs, but if you did, which ones did you use and were you ultra meticulous in checking and setting the plug gap?
    First of all, thank you for getting back to me so soon, the coil packs are aftermarket all from the same manufacturer, and I replaced all four, the spark plugs have about 4000 miles on them, but I pulled them back out recently and they all look fine. They are NGK Iridium IX BCPR6EIX-11 (4919). I did check the gap when I first installed them but did not re-check when I recently pulled them out. Where is the "ION module" located and could that be the culprit?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    The ION module is on end of engine, upper right rear near brake and coolant reservoir, rectangular plug wire bundle leads to coil packs.

Wouldn't worry to much about the ION module, NGK Iridium are great plugs, but they are not Original Equipment and it's tough enough to make the available today aftermarket coils work with the OE plugs and not pop a knock code. Personally I went through two sets of aftermarket coil packs this spring before I went back to Saab OE. First set I tossed the second day after I contacted the seller and gave them the codes, the seller gave me full credit and didn't want the coils back. Second set, different supplier worked for several days before the plastic started coming apart and this is what I learned before going back to Saab OE. Clean carbon from combustion chambers, all plugs gapped exactly the same, no + or - not even .001 between plugs. Premium gas only and making short distance drives means adding carbon cleaning additive to the tank every fill to keep the knock code from popping.

This code comes from a virtual sensor, the coil pack reads and feeds spark current info to and through the ion module to the engine controller. Change the plugs, change the coil packs and you change the info the computer gets. This time last year there were aftermarket no name coils that worked as good as OE, but there don't seem to be any today and from reading coil complaint postings it looks to me like all the good as OE aftermarket coils disappeared about 8 months ago.

In the long run these low cost aftermarkets cost more to run than OE. On the bright side, second seller gave me full credit when I described how the coils were coming apart, after they had sent me one replacement and by the time I got it I needed another. They didn't even want to see how these were breaking, gave me full credit and told me to throw them away. Personal opinion is that even used Saab OE coils are better than the todays available aftermarkets are when new.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 Vector
    Thank you again Digger. So what you are saying is that if I replace the plugs and coil packs with OE and make sure to properly gap the new plugs my problems should go away? Eeuroparts.com offers OE Saab parts, do you recommend using them? Or do you recommend another online site to buy OE Saab parts from?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Coil packs are pricy and just because I got two batches of bad coil packs doesn't mean that you didn't get four that will work with the right plugs. The first batch I got gave me knock and hundreds of misfires first time I turned the key. Seller had me do everything before I could exchange and when I could prove them bad the seller refunded and told me to throw them away. The second batch probably worked when installed because I had done everything possible to make bad ones work, but the plastic was so badly molded they started falling apart within a few days of use.

This time last year there were good aftermarket coils and if you're lucky they're back. You will probably need coil packs, but start with the plugs and then decide on coil packs. Rockauto.com is best price for plugs, they also have the best price on oil filters, wiper blades, and crank position sensors and a minimum shipping charge from warehouse locations. The crank sensor hides behind the starter motor and when that little thing goes the car stops, so it's a nice thing to have handy if you don't have to pay extra for shipping.

Don't know about eeuroparts, from their web page I thought they were located out east, but from a complaint posting I read today they are owned by Countryside VW a few miles from where I am and the man who started the business was friend of my dad. It's a family owned so I probably know who's running the business, but I don't know what kind of a business they are running, need some stuff for myself, haven't seen any of those people since my dad passed away and that's been a few years, so I'll have to get back to you on the europarts recommendation.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    Agreeing with Master/DR/;-) Digger, that's the true deal with all parts around ignition on Saab you can't buy other than OEM ones. same deal with 9-5 and DIC.
    You can follow his advices with eyes closed.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 Vector
    Well after replacing all 4 spark plugs with the correct ones and after replacing all 4 ignition coils code P0340 went away and so did the mis-fire I was having, now I am getting code P1312; (Combustion Detection cyl. 1+2. Open circuit/switch point-rich sensor 1). I am checking into what that code means, but thanks for the help with the other problem.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    P1312 means that your ION module doesn't like hearing what your ignition coils are telling it and by the time the ION module translates what it's hearing into a usable cam shaft position the ECM thinks you have carbon on the plugs.

Been all through this circuit chasing the causes of this code and before I send you down the same path looking for modules and wire connections. What did you gap your plugs to and did you use genuine Saab coil packs?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 Vector
    I gaped all 4 plugs at .035, and the coil packs (28347707) are from Profession Parts Sweden also known as Proparts. They specialize in Saab and Volvo car parts. I ordered them from eEuroparts.com they cost about $44 each. They had OEM Saab coils but they were twice as much. The ones I put in have a 1 year warranty so if there is an issue with them I can return them and put out the extra money for the Saab ones. I just figured that these ones would be just as good. Also something else I noticed it looks like the previous owner soldered in the wiring harness that connects to all the coil packs, the part of the harness that goes under the aluminum cover that goes over the coil packs. If that is the problem then I need to locate a complete factory harness on ebay or at a junkyard somewhere.