Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    SAAB Entusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 2.3T

Just purchased first SAAB

Hello all-
    I just purchased a 2008 9-5 2.3T with 90K two weeks ago, and already the serpentine belt/spark plugs (NGK)/thermostat/temperature sensor have been replaced. The pictures attached show a hose assembly on the top of the motor which I need help in identifying, as the mechanic replacing the thermostat/temperature sensor broke it and then used a brown adhesive to get it back together. He thought it was a vacuum hose, I have no idea. Also, the coolant is green but my understanding is that DexCool should be used, so if anyone knows please confirm.

For ordering parts, I have narrowed it down to esaabparts.com (in TX) and eeuroparts.com (in CT). If anyone has experience with either please let me know as there are things I have to replace from windshield wipers to filters and no one around here in NH sells SAAB parts, which is astounding given the amount of SAABs I see on the road.

Of motor oil, my choice is Mobil 1 5W30 Extended Life or Annual Protection due to the Dexos certification, and it is mentioned in the owners manual. If anyone can confirm this weight I would appreciate it since the owners manual is rather vague on that issue. If anyone knows if the headlight switch/night panel button/asr button are supposed to be lit up at night because mine are not, that would help a great deal.

Finally, the battery has no sticker, no identifying marker, just the word "SECOND" branded on the top. If anyone agrees with me that this means it was a second hand reject battery let me know, as that is going bye bye and being replaced with an ACDelco gold battery soon. If anyone has ever used a Bosch battery I would appreciate the feedback.

Thank you to those who are going to respond to this posting, as you are ensuring not only the proper maintenance of the 9-5, but the safety of my family as well.

Name:  2017-10-12_8-46-50.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  53.9 KB

Name:  2017-10-12_8-47-10.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  2017-10-12_8-47-28.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  59.6 KB

Name:  2017-10-12_8-47-54.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  2017-10-12_8-48-07.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  55.8 KB

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Your car shoul use Mobil I 0-40 Euro Blend.
    Dex Cool is correct. If you chang back be sure to make sure it is fully flushed. Mixing is bad. Maybe already is so I would flush it now.
    Batteries are all pretty much the same. My Walmart lasted 5 years, my Saab 3. I just bought one from Advanced yesterday. Total was 131.00. Same Johnson Control unit that wall mart sells.
    AC Delco is nothing special. Use what you have till it shows signs of failing..
    Eeuroparts only as a last resort. Steals on shipping.
    Try Saabpartscheap. Good prices from an old dealer. Countryside VW in Minnesota is a great parts place for Saab. Got a new headlight last week got the 9 3 for 160.00. EE wanted 220.00.
    looks like the brake booster line is broken. Sold as a unit. Google Saab 9 5 brake booster line. It is an important part.

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Well WULF, another response to a first time poster.
    i guess time will tell.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    Mike you're probably the last person to ask if EE is a good seller, I understand and share so well your thoughts about ..make me smile like an idiot !! for me a deal is a deal
    Pegasus Welcome to the club you can't doubt we have so much Saabs anymore on the road that's only when you've buy a car you will see others.ake the pictures
    You start in a good way for keeping your Saab at best, when you have the pictures you're posted your engine is it cold or hot ? I will say if it is cold your coolant level is a bit high.
    Anyway wish you great pleasure with your new SAAB.

For all gasoline engines - synthetic engine oil - approved against
    the GM-LL-A-025 specification. To benefit from Saab
    ́
    s speci-
    fied service intervals, pleasure ensure to select a synthetic
    engine oil approved against GM-LL-A-025.
    For optimum performance Saab recommends the use of Saab
    Long Life Turbo Oil SAE 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30 or 5W-40.

Oil capacity incl. filter (on changing) ____

4.1 qts (4.0 litres)
    Last edited by swisssaabist; 12 October 2017 at 17:57.

SAAB Entusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 2.3T
    Mike-
    Thank you for the advice, sorry it took so long to reply but as so often happens life intervenes. The day after I wrote the post the battery called it quits (it only had 12 Volts) late in the afternoon, so it was replaced the next day with a Bosch H6 battery with 760 CCAs. Pep Boys on sale for $127 instead of $170, 2nd highest rated battery for this group by Consumer Reports. I will check into the brake booster line on eSAABparts.com and the website you mentioned.
    If you have any other thoughts on what I should look for that would be a big help. I now have a situation with the transmission shifting between 2-3000 RPM while accelerating on the highway. When the transmission downshifts and hitting that range results in hesitation like I hit the rev limiter, and if I hold my foot to the floor it will rev past but not for long. Yesterday it happened while moving from a stop. Choosing Sport mode reduced it but it still exists. A reprogramming perhaps?

SAAB Entusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 2.3T
    Bruno-
    Thanks for the post. In the pictures the engine is cold, having been left outside in 50 degrees overnight. If you know of anything regarding the transmission issue I just posted with Mike (I don't want to be redundant), let me know. It's driving me nuts. I thought it could have been because of the vacuum hose being broken, but obviously I was wrong. It just came out of nowhere and existed before I replaced the battery.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    The TCM might need to be retrained, as the right set of unknown circumstances can put it in training mode and if it isn't trained properly it doesn't shift properly. Hope you are only low on fluid as training it takes some very specific driving actions and finding a road to do that on can be challenging. Do check your fluid first, maybe even drain a gallon out of the pan and replace with fresh new. Hope you can get by with just topping off, or fresh fluid. Even with your own Tech 2 and TIS, if traffic and stop lights don't cooperate, you go back to programming security access and start all over.

A few months ago I posted a link to the tranny manual, was going to do that again, but that link for free view is no longer Google accessible. If you do need to train the tranny the WIS is still available on line and you will want to print the instructions and follow them exactly as written.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    About your coolant level it's a bit confusing about the arrow engraved on the reservoir the line indicate the halves of the reservoir for low cold level anyway nothing dramatic