Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-3 Arc Convertible

Exclamation Rattle - loose heatshield?

so recently i started hearing a something like a rattle (not really sure how to describe the sound). i took it to a friend and he told me its a loose heatshield. I checked it myself and im not sure if my heat shield is loose
    can someone verify if my heat shield is loose by watching the video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGKfhcIdx7U
    Last edited by nordwulf; 18 October 2017 at 12:31. Reason: merged threads - adjusted title

Banned
    Saab(s)

RATTLE

well recently, ive started to hear something like a rattle. It all started when i went over a small curb at a very slow speed. The sound comes from the outside and can be heard when its COLD or WARM
    when its COLD i can hear it when i rev the car but when its warm, i dont hear it anymore.
    i can hear it as i drive down the road.
    what is the problem? heat shield? engine?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Loose heat shield can sound like a bad catalytic converter and vice versa. You are going to need a little more working room and that means getting the car up several more inches, get a good thick leather glove on your hand and bang on the pipe from end to end with the engine running. A loose shield will have a metallic ting, a loose biscuit in the cat will have a duller sound, a broken biscuit will rattle.

Banned
    Saab(s)

Exclamation RATTLING UNDER CAR NEAR ENGINE

i found a rattling noise under the car near the engine. wouldnt be the exhaust heatshield. everything seems fine
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXh7oGffzPM
    Last edited by nordwulf; 19 October 2017 at 17:42. Reason: merged threads

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Law View Post
    i found a rattling noise under the car near the engine. wouldnt be the exhaust heatshield. everything seems fine
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXh7oGffzPM
    A loose skin is irritating, a busted biscuit can ruin your engine. No tactful way to say this so I'll be blunt. If you can't get the car up high enough to bang on the cat and find out if you have a loose shield, catalytic skin or a busted biscuit, you'll never get it up high enough to fix this yourself. Get yourself into any exhaust shop and get a repair or estimate.

Banned
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    A loose skin is irritating, a busted biscuit can ruin your engine. No tactful way to say this so I'll be blunt. If you can't get the car up high enough to bang on the cat and find out if you have a loose shield, catalytic skin or a busted biscuit, you'll never get it up high enough to fix this yourself. Get yourself into any exhaust shop and get a repair or estimate.
    If its the cat, will the check engine light be on? I dont see any check engine light on my dash

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    As you're in California and depending on how much you drive, odds are that if your cat biscuit has just come loose you will fail your emissions test before you see a check engine light. Cats break different ways for different reasons and so long as it's not broken in a way that can block exhaust flow your first and longest lasting symptom will be rattle with increasing higher emissions numbers.

If the biscuit wears to a point where it gets crooked in the case or breaks into chunks it can bring you to a sputtering halt on the highway, most don't cause any real trouble but when they do it can be pricy.

It will probably take longer to get your car up on a hoist than it will for a good exhaust guy to find the noise. Most shops give free estimates and it's against the law for a shop to replace a good cat. An honest place should have at least one old cat with the removal date written on the side. If they don't save go someplace else, but make sure your noise is just loose tin.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Nick, please don't start new threads for the same issue with your car. Had to merge 3 already. Thanks!

Banned
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nordwulf View Post
    Nick, please don't start new threads for the same issue with your car. Had to merge 3 already. Thanks!
    Dude whats your problem. Im just finding new problems and what am i meant to do?! Sit down and question myself about it? This forum is for helping others, if youre not, then get off! And those issues are not the same. Rattling, loose heatshield and just questioning about my heatshield. If i dont have the rights to ask about my car, that defeats the point of this forum

Banned
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nordwulf View Post
    Merge 3? Whats that supposed to mean. R u saying 3 posts are a lot?! u chose to deal with it so tough