Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 aero wagon

Program transponder on 9-5 aero wagon

I've searched the forum but couldn't find a clear answer. I apologize if this was covered already.
    I purchased a 2000 9-5 aero wagon that only came with a single key. The key doesn't have the buttons on it etc.
    I bought a replacement key fob on Ebay, with an uncut key and factory oem internals.
    I've been to a dozen locksmiths that advertise transponder programming, and none say they can program a saab key.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction, I'm worried if i lose the only working key in really in a tough spot.
    Thank you!

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Call clearcomkeys.com in Utah.
    they will tell how and what to do for around 100.00.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 aero wagon
    Thank you. When i visited the site, the domain is not active and listed for sale.

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Just google Saab 9 5 lost keys. Lots of options. There are many suppliers who can cut you a transponder key from your vin, with that and sending them the new key and the ecm they can make work.
    another option is to get the parts you need from a member and just have a separate key for the door.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    This transponder key doesn't get programed to the car, the car gets programed to the transponder key. Instructions for programing both the key and remote fob are in the WIS and you will need access to a Tech 2 for programing.
    Like Mike says, you can the key cut from the VIN, send your working key in with parts from the car and have both keys programed to work. Or you get your own Tech 2 and WIS, or you take the car to someplace that works on Saab and pay to have it done.

Saab(s)
    04 9-5 Aero, 04 9-5 ARC, 08 9-5 2.3T
    Digger, I am seeking some clarity.

2008 Saab 9-5 2.3T
    I have one complete transponder key, everything is in working order with this 1 original transponder key.
    I purchased a new blade, cut to proper specifications using my VIN. This new blade works perfectly when I swap the original transponder electronic component (complete with buttons and battery) in to it. So, to summarize, I have one complete working key fob and one functioning blade that lacks electronic components.

So here is the question.
    Can I put a random used 9-5 transponder (that collected from a junk yard) into the new cut blade and make it work by re-programming with a Tech2?
    Or do I need to purchase a new 9-5 transponder, and program with a Tech2?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by c2buck View Post
    Digger, I am seeking some clarity.

2008 Saab 9-5 2.3T
    I have one complete transponder key, everything is in working order with this 1 original transponder key.
    I purchased a new blade, cut to proper specifications using my VIN. This new blade works perfectly when I swap the original transponder electronic component (complete with buttons and battery) in to it. So, to summarize, I have one complete working key fob and one functioning blade that lacks electronic components.

So here is the question.
    Can I put a random used 9-5 transponder (that collected from a junk yard) into the new cut blade and make it work by re-programming with a Tech2?
    Or do I need to purchase a new 9-5 transponder, and program with a Tech2?
    Here is the answer. With Tech 2 & Saab software you can only write to the transponder PROM, not erase. If you have a friend in the electronic business and they have the right equipment you can erase and make room to write, but it cost less to buy a new if you have to pay to have this done.

Saab(s)
    04 9-5 Aero, 04 9-5 ARC, 08 9-5 2.3T

another strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Here is the answer. With Tech 2 & Saab software you can only write to the transponder PROM, not erase. If you have a friend in the electronic business and they have the right equipment you can erase and make room to write, but it cost less to buy a new if you have to pay to have this done.
    thank you for the clarity.

eEuroparts lists a new remote transponder for $134.
    In an effort to avoid paying $134 for a new remote transponder, I have another strategy that I would like your opinion on.
    I have 2 identical working keys, complete with transponders, from a totaled 2004 9-5 Aero. Am I able to swap these transponders into the keys of my 2008 9-5 3.2T, then have someone with a Tech2 program the TWICE to them? Or do I need to stop being a cheap-ass and buy a new transponder for $134.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by c2buck View Post
    thank you for the clarity.

eEuroparts lists a new remote transponder for $134.
    In an effort to avoid paying $134 for a new remote transponder, I have another strategy that I would like your opinion on.
    I have 2 identical working keys, complete with transponders, from a totaled 2004 9-5 Aero. Am I able to swap these transponders into the keys of my 2008 9-5 3.2T, then have someone with a Tech2 program the TWICE to them? Or do I need to stop being a cheap-ass and buy a new transponder for $134.
    Euro gets $134 because they know which part you need and where to get it. You can buy it yourself from a home based supplier on the net that may, or may not know what they are selling for considerably less, or you can not spend a penny and permanently mount your working transponder in the car.

It's a 20 year old car, old enough that it falls in-between the high value, steal and strip for parts of the daily driver and classic / collectibles. Nothing cheap about being practical, if the car is worth the cost of the added protection, spend the money, if not, don't waste it.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 wagon
    Heres a quick question. Hopefully someone can answer for me. My 99 wagon has the separate key fob. I have seen some keys where the transponder and buttons are integrated into the "head" (?) of the key. Is it possible to get one of those types of keys and have the car programmed to that key to eliminate the bulky key fob?