Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Arc; 2002 9-5 Aero

where are oil pressure valve and oil temperature regulator?

I just got a 1999 9-5 SE 2.3t engine back together after doing a head gasket replacement. It had a pretty bad sludge problem, despite reading 85K on the odometer. I have Mobil 1 conventional 5W-30 and two bottles of AutoRx in the crankcase (will run synthetic after the sludge treatment). I bought the car not running, so this is the first time I've heard it running. I had a lot of valve train noise at idle, possibly some timing chain slop. The engine starts and runs good. I had it idling for over an hour yesterday with no problems other than this noise. I drove it a few miles, and it started flickering the oil pressure light at idle. From that point on, I guess after it got good and hot, the oil pressure light is on or flickering at idle. Off idle, it goes out.

I've done a good bit of research online, and it is pointing to the oil pressure valve clogged or sticking, the oil temperature regulator not allowing oil into the oil cooler due to clogging or sticking, or bad main bearings (I do hear "noise" if I listen under the car).

I cannot find where the oil pressure valve and oil temperature sensors are located so I can remove/inspect/clean/replace them. Can someone point me to them? Also, any thoughts on this oil pressure problem, other causes? If things aren't clogged up with sludge, would heavier oil, maybe 20W-50, help?

thanks.

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    Both of these components are located within the oil filter adapter. One has a removable service cap on the front side (I think this one is the pressure regulator) and the other has it's removable service cap on the bottom side.
    Last edited by MI-Roger; 01 April 2015 at 01:17.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Arc; 2002 9-5 Aero
    Thanks MI-Roger. I'll crawl under there this weekend and hopefully find something that is causing the low oil pressure at oil when hot.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 SE (LPT), 2004 9-5 Aero
    There is no stock oil temperature sensor (that is, the kind that provides an output signal to a temperature gauge). MI-Roger, are you referring to the oil thermostat that regulates the flow to the oil cooler?

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    after your sludge issue did you have been inspect the cam cover ?? it have a small round tube using for oil circulation if that tube is clogged the oil could not circulate properly so oil starvation could occur.