Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by nordwulf View Post
    It really is an underdeveloped country when it comes to cars and roads.
    I can already hear the freedom movements gearing up to contest any introduction of tougher safety regulations. I can also hear the UK objectors lining up to apply for green cards so that they can remove all the emissions kit from their cars.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    I've seen this Teves issue debated almost to death on the Chrysler TC forum and I've read almost every Lotus forum posting on how to fabricate a brake pressure switch contraption to keep the brake system in the car because??? for some reason they can't get the same switch in the UK that we can get in the states. Bit of a trade off though as they can get the Lemforder accumulator that we can't get here.

Near as I can tell ABS brakes are still not required by US law on cars, but stability control is required on all cars since 2012??? so apparently we can have stability control without ABS, Huh???

Uncle Sam has a very interesting way of enforcing auto emissions law and other mandated things, I won't open that ridiculous can of worms for discussion, but I will get back to brakes. Car manufacturers use the same chassis for multiple models. If ABS was an option on the chassis replacing with other certified brake systems from that chassis might not be against the law, but don't bet the farm on getting vehicle insurance. End around way of non enforcing a non existent law, is the VIN will show ABS and taking a discount for ABS that has been removed is insurance fraud, so you best disclose.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1997 NG 900 SE
    Don't usually troll in C900 BBs, but I've had experience with the Teves system in Saabs. You could remove the system completely, but it would require a transplant of an earlier braking system, master cylinder, etc, plus require running new lines, to the rear I think, due to the old style master cylinder. I had bad luck with the system in my C900, not due to accumulators, but the pump, which needed replacing. At one time, you could get an OEM pump assembly from Saab, but it's NLA. I replaced my faulty pump with one from a scrap car, and IT went bad. If you can get the pump rebuilt if it gets tired as it ages, it's all good. The problem I had many years ago was NO ONE would rebuild it and guarantee it due to it being a critical part. That may have changed now, but at the time I sold the car due to that issue. Sure, I could have gotten another junkyard part, but really, I didn't think that wise. I'd love to get another C900, but won't get one from 1990 on due to the Teves system, unless there is some support for it when it comes to parts replacement/repair.

The Teves system was popular around that time. My nephew's Ferrari has it...

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Teves ABS is still popular with the people who performance run their classics on the track and electric power brakes are also popular with hot rod and other high performance drivers. I can think of a lot of old engines that have almost no vacuum, but I can't think of any old engine jacked up to several hundred horsepower that has enough extra vacuum to hold a good smoky burnout brake stand. Of course hydroboost will work just fine where vacuum is questionably available, but it drags on engine available power and you can't make as much smoke while burning up pavement and tires.

Pumps for the Teves are still available, it's the pumps packaged in Saab and Delco part numbered box's that aren't. Finding a replacement is easy, finding one that bolts into the mounting holes takes some shopping, finding the direct fit where everything lines up and has the same plug connect, still looking.