Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael9 View Post
    Sorry meant to say that's the first thing we did ie swap bulbs plus I've 2 new ones I put to try and was the same, he's stumped too as knows more about electrics than I'll ever know.
    Not completely stumped, as the simple possibilities are eliminated a flaky body control module becomes the more likely cause. When you use the Tech 2 and run the light test the exterior lights flash their in a clockwise circle around the car like an old SCI FY movie saucer coming in for a landing. An impressive though somewhat silly test, that won't tell you that you have a marker light out. My old Volvo would tell me when a bulb was out, wasn't smart enough to tell me which bulb, but it was never wrong and I didn't need an expensive test set with security access to not tell me what I could see for myself.

When I can, I will check the 05 wire diagrams for any plug connection in that path, or relay inside the cabin that has yet to be checked. After that it's time to check for control modules that need to be re programed or replaced.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 1.8t
    And that's probably why the last owner got rid cause they weren't willing to spend a few 100 to fix ie this bcu and/or tech 2 he probably got a fright at the price and I'm not doing either.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael9 View Post
    And that's probably why the last owner got rid cause they weren't willing to spend a few 100 to fix ie this bcu and/or tech 2 he probably got a fright at the price and I'm not doing either.
    Looked at the wiring diagrams and maybe you can get lucky with two points to check. The locking plug connect close to the high and low beam sockets, the crimp connect from the ground point below the front electrical center. If the high beam is OK it's probably not the ground point below the fuse box and look to the locking plug connections for any chance of lowest cost fix. After that it's Tech 2 time.

When the bulb is good and a fault is displayed, an August 2008 technical bulletin lists erroneous low beam bulb failure as a software bug that requires updating software to repair. The tech bulletin states that replacing the UEC will not fix this problem, given that this bulletin was written 9 years ago, replacing with used before reprograming would be prudent as it could save you a second trip to the Tech 2.

The way the computer controls and measures bulb current and resistance, bridging to the left light could cause more trouble. Hope you find connection trouble at the locking plug connect.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 1.8t
    Thanks for explaining that...but think I've had enough as this afternoon the back drivers door wouldn't lock and window stuck half way down, I won't buy Saab again because it's not proper Saab or if I do it'll be an old 9000 but they don't make them in estates only saloon/sedan or hatch so will go to another make.

we both like it but but christ just days after buying I get all this crap, it's not on!!, it's partly my fault though as I didn't fully check things worked beforehand but I will the next time that's a bloody fact!!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 1.8t
    Like I said at the start

I'm glad you've helped as nobody else seems to know anything despite it being a commonish problem. And googling found bugger all!

A friend has offered to swap fuse boxes with his but it's a 1.8 non turbo so probably different but even if it was the same there's no rust or corrosion on mine anyway.

Time to get rid

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    The odds of the electrical center programming being so absolutely identical to your car that it will bolt and go like any dumb fuse fox would ??????? and it's not just Saab. Every car built in this millennium has at least one ridiculously expensive, or you've got to be kidding computer controlled problem waiting to happen and every car newer than 2002 can loose a spot of programming just by disconnecting the battery. Disconnecting the battery can also fix odd problems just like rebooting your PC, so like it or not, disconnecting occasionally needs to be done. This doesn't happen often, but with almost every car on the road run by computer, it happens every day to someone somewhere.

Swapping or fixing, you still need the Tech 2 to synch the darn thing up to the car or you could be installing more problems than you fix and that might be all you need to do to fix the problem you have. Headlights, door locks, windows, seats, even the radio is connected to the computer and the newer the car the more it all interconnects.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    A friend of mine have buying a new Audi he has been on troubles with the electronics having the 4 windows opened during tunnel washing unfortunately the day he was going to a marriage, the Audi workshop taking more than one month, they almost stripped entirely the car electrics for finally finding it was a trunk sensor that we're bad, So like Digger said every brands have their issues.