Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 aero wagon

9-5 blinker isn't working when turning to the right

Greetings forum,

The blinker on my 9-5 isn't working when turning to the right

At first it did not work at all, in either direction, I removed the fuse cover and found the 7.5 amp fuse had blown. I replaced with a 10 amp (the only replacement I had with me today), and the signal works to the left, but not to the right.

I don't hear blinking sound or anything. I have checked all the bulbs and they appear to work. Just to test I removed bulbs from the left side and the blinker worked fine even without a bulb on the left side, but completely dead on the right. When the switch is set to the right, it is sending power to the fuse, but not blinking. Is there a blinker module in the car, like old US cars used to have?

Any ideas on what my sled needs to blink again? I hate to spend the funds to change out the switch on the column when there might be something different. Thank you and waving a hand from California!
    Last edited by nordwulf; 28 November 2017 at 00:44. Reason: adjusted thread title

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Do your right side lights light solid, or is there no light with the no flash
    Do your 4 way flashers work?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 aero wagon
    Greetings Digger,

Nothing on the right side, completely dead no lights at all. Today when I went to inspect all of this, I pressed the hazard button and the bezel broke sending the hazard light switch to rest on top of the the SID (I just found that is pretty easy to remove, so I'll retrieve it soon). But to answer directly, I don't know at this moment if the hazard is able to light the right side lights.

No light no flash, the only light that comes on is the LED light in the fuse I installed, that indicates that power is reaching the fuse from both the right and left turn indicator.

Thank you!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Something blew your fuse, if 3 out of 4 corners flash with the hazard lights on you know where to start looking for wire harness damage. If only the left side flashes you look at the wires from front to back, start looking for a good used TCM which is also called the DICE. Not sure, but it could be called the dice because fixing a full side problem without a code reader, wire diagram and ohm meter could be a real crapshoot.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 aero wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Something blew your fuse, if 3 out of 4 corners flash with the hazard lights on you know where to start looking for wire harness damage. If only the left side flashes you look at the wires from front to back, start looking for a good used TCM which is also called the DICE. Not sure, but it could be called the dice because fixing a full side problem without a code reader, wire diagram and ohm meter could be a real crapshoot.
    This is my first SAAB, I love love love driving it. So I am guessing that I am going to need to buy a code reader etc.?

I did smell a burned wire smell just before the lights went out, it was very faint and I thought it was something in the area not my car. But since you mentioned that a harness could be bad, well put two and two together and I think I probably have a wire problem.

I didn't have time to get to the hazard switch, but I should be able to tomorrow. I'll post results if there are any lights that come on with the flasher. Thank you!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Most parts stores will loan code readers, or read codes for you and eventually you will need to read and reset body codes from this problem that should be stored in memory. If you are going to self maintain your Saab, use someone else's code reader and start saving up for your own Tech 2, it will cost you more than a cheap code reader and it will pay for itself many times over.

TIS software for Saab programing doesn't work on anything newer than Windows XP. About a month ago links to WIS and EPC programs updated to work with Windows 10 were posted here and you should search them out and download copies. The WIS has the wiring diagrams, and all sorts of trouble resolution information, but learning to use the WIS without a users guide is like playing a video game for the first time and finding what you need quickly, or just plain finding what your need, takes some practice. The EPC will give you line art drawings of parts and where they are located.

Even when you have the windows, melting wiring under the dash you give you more than a faint smell, so you might as well start at the front turn signal cable and follow it back to the firewall. For this a bright flashlight that fits in small spaces is your best tool.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 aero wagon
    Thank you! This has been very helpful. And yes I'm going to have to self maintain the car.
    I'll be on the lookout for a Tech 2. Any places that i should look?

Thank you again for your help.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 aero wagon
    I found this. Seems to have good reviews and a saab model. Is this what you mean by a Tech 2?
    Thank you!http://m.buyobdtoolshop.com/wholesal...ying-case.html

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubebuzzer View Post
    I found this. Seems to have good reviews and a saab model. Is this what you mean by a Tech 2?
    Thank you!http://m.buyobdtoolshop.com/wholesal...ying-case.html
    That is an affordable Tech 2 and the quality on these Chinese clones does vary. Don't rush to buy today, these things come from China and their new years sales start around the end of January and run to the middle of February. When on sale you can get you the highest quality clone available at close to the same affordable price and should you ever drop it from height to hard concrete, that couple extra bucks you spent for case and cables will be worth every extra penny. When on sale you can add a GM card, GM and Saab TIS software and maybe even cover shipping. Though your Saab isn't new enough to have CAN, getting a CANDI in the package price beats the heck out of buying one later and if you get a newer Saab or a newer GM someday, you will need to have one.