Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    9-3 Convertible 1998

9-3 convertible - strange hood and window issue

I bought my 9-3 with a hood inoperable (missing the 5th bow motor, and low hydraulic fluid) and also a drivers window in need of a new regulator. It only cost me £300 and is in decent condition, so its a bit of fun!
    I've replaced the 5th bow motor, and filled up with fluid, and now the hood works, up and down, most of the time. One strange thing is that if I press down on the front drivers side window switch, the 5th bow lock opens! And if I press up on it, the 5th bow closes! I haven't replaced the regulator yet, but have plugged in my new one, and the window switch does NOT operate the window in either direction. The window does go up and down 30% as it should when the hood is being operated, but does not work off the window switch.
    Obviously the windows and hood are working together when the hood is being operated, but surely the window switch itself shouldn't be operating the 5th bow motor?
    All help appreciated

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    OG 9-3
    Quote Originally Posted by jemp View Post
    Obviously the windows and hood are working together when the hood is being operated, but surely the window switch itself shouldn't be operating the 5th bow motor?
    All help appreciated
    I'd replace the console window unit first. They are a little different on the convertible... not a simple switch. If that doesn't do it, I'd replace the top computer (STCU). It's located in the left rear quarter panel area, accessed by removing the left rear trunk inner panel. It doesn't require any programming. I would disconnect the battery before swapping it. There's nothing else in that system so it almost has to be one of those two items.

Saab(s)
    9-3 Convertible 1998
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    I'd replace the console window unit first. They are a little different on the convertible... not a simple switch. If that doesn't do it, I'd replace the top computer (STCU). It's located in the left rear quarter panel area, accessed by removing the left rear trunk inner panel. It doesn't require any programming. I would disconnect the battery before swapping it. There's nothing else in that system so it almost has to be one of those two items.
    Yes I'm inclined to agree. I've swapped out the console window switch, and have the same issues, so I've ruled that out, and now I'm going to change out the STCU. All the signals go from the console switch to the STCU on the convertible, then out to the various operators like windows and hood. It seems that the wrong messages are coming out! Only £20 for the STCU second hand, so lets see when it arrives.

Thanks