Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    None

Potential new to Saab 2006 9-3 2.0t ??'s

Hi guys, looking at my first Saab. Have a few questions. Firstly I'll tell you what I know about it. 123,000 miles bone stock manual. It has a sunroof but no fogs or rear trunk spoiler.

1) I have the vin but can't seem to find a decoder listing the options or features included in the car
    2) Does this car require premium 91 or regular 87 gas
    3) Any known problem areas to check for? Common issues
    4) Plan on driving it as a winter car and it already has snow tires.
    5) can I drop the OEM NAV radio from an 06 aero combi into my 06 2.0t?

Thanks in advance

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Check out this thread for decoding the VIN: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=626

The buyers guide has more info about common issues and problem areas: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=24606

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    None
    So finally went to see the car and 3 issues with it. Everything else was acceptable

1) major oil leak right side of the engine. Near valve cover to the right beneath a blackbox and a silver thing with fins on it. Covered with oil and hoses near around it
    2) brakes rusted through from sitting on lot
    3) radio has no power. Dead and someone tried to remove it and scratched up the dash trying to pry it free.
    Trying upload pics of oil leak

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    None

Saab Enthusiast lowrider_rt2000's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3
    Your oil leak is the least of your issues right now from what I can see from the pictures. The passenger side strut tower looks really rusted. I would be checking that out before anything else. Driver side headlight is out of place which leads me to believe it might of been wrecked or someone didn't install it right after it was out for some reason. It looks like a nice car but really look it over again. Rust being #1 reason why.

Sent from my 9-3

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    None
    Thanks for the fast reply. I'm up north so with the snow and salt most of the cars develop that coating of rust after about 7years and that strut Mount isn't that bad. I've seen them rust through. Tho rusty it's solid.
    I can't tell what u see about the headlight. Seems in place to me but the info center did mention the right front dipped bulb was not working

Saab Enthusiast lowrider_rt2000's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3
    Quote Originally Posted by GTA_G20 View Post
    Thanks for the fast reply. I'm up north so with the snow and salt most of the cars develop that coating of rust after about 7years and that strut Mount isn't that bad. I've seen them rust through. Tho rusty it's solid.
    I can't tell what u see about the headlight. Seems in place to me but the info center did mention the right front dipped bulb was not working
    That makes sense now why there is so much rust. Maybe your oil leak is a good thing. It will help keep that rust away hahaha. As far as your questions, I have an 05 manual with sunroof too. Love it! I run premium in mine. I do have custom exhaust that comes out the side of the car now. Getting things ready for my stage 2 tune. When I got the car I ran 87 in it for a few months. I was getting average of 27.6 mpg's. With new exhaust and premium gas I average 32.7 mpg's. Same country back roads and city driving. Except now with city driving, I get these damn kids in Honda Civics and VW's who always want to race! It funny when you beat them every time because they aren't expecting this from a Saab. So even with dropping down a few gears a doing some racing, my display says 32.7. I'm sure if I would keep my foot out of full boost I'd get even better. The radio not working might be from the dead battery. I do not know enough about the radio in my car to give you an answer. Can I ask how much the dealer is asking for the car?

Sent from my 9-3

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    None
    http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=181226

Think I found the oil leak....

To be fair this is just a winter beater and a third car will probably be my daily driver. I drive a boxster 550 Spyder which is useless after October.
    Previously I've had a few Infiniti G20's, e46 and e90 325xi's and Audi a4. So reverting back to FWD is gonna be a change. But one I look forward to as I've always liked this car but had my preferences.
    Dealer has had the car sitting for a few months. And offered it to me yesterday at the equivalent of $700USD.
    That being said it does need full brakes for safety. A left outer tail light and front right xenon

Aside from that. I noticed the rubber on the roof antenna is brittle and falling off. Stereo is missing a bass or treble knob and doesn't work. But interior otherwise is great and everything else works. Car runs quiet and clutch is good.
    Tried to get away from premium gas prices but at that mileage I don't mind

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    Yeah how much? we are from IRS Naaaa just kidding

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    None