Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    aspiring

Engine Temp Sensor

Last weekend I got a check engine light, but nothing in the SID, no change in performance. I did see that the temp gauge would drop to zero suddenly after about 30 minutes of driving.

Finally ordered an ODBII reader and got P0116 - Engine Temp Sensor Circuit Range

I'm a weekend driver, hoping I can get by till after the holidays before taking it in. I'm thinking this is non-critical for now. Especially considering it's winter.

FWIW I had it in the shop a little over a year ago for something similar - only then we were having a heat wave, and I was driving much farther.

Thoughts? Is this a DIY even for a noob wrencher? Should I see if the shop will cover P&L if it's the same as last time?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Replacing the coolant temp sensor is pretty easy if it is the 2.3 4-cyl engine. Remove the battery, drain a bit of coolant, remove the old one and install the new sensor. More info and pictures in the thermostat replacement thread: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=1019

This could also be the thermostat that needs replacement. The temp sensor and thermostat are often replaced at the same time.

Please take a moment to update your profile with year, trim level and engine of your Saab so it will be easier for others to assist: http://saabworld.net/profile.php?do=editprofile

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by nordwulf View Post
    Replacing the coolant temp sensor is pretty easy if it is the 2.3 4-cyl engine. Remove the battery, drain a bit of coolant, remove the old one and install the new sensor. More info and pictures in the thermostat replacement thread: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=1019

This could also be the thermostat that needs replacement. The temp sensor and thermostat are often replaced at the same time.

Please take a moment to update your profile with year, trim level and engine of your Saab so it will be easier for others to assist: http://saabworld.net/profile.php?do=editprofile
    You don't actually need to remove the battery as access is pretty good, changing the thermostat is another matter as Saab (GM) decided to use the housing to attach a bracket for some cables. The Saab 9000 has the same thermostat location but without the bracket.

Unless you are skilled and experienced, disconnect the battery, -Ve terminal first, before you start work.

Make sure you have the correct, pink, coolant to top up the system after you have finished.
    remember that the code covers the sensor and the wiring, check that the wiring is in good condition before you change the sensor.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    07 9-5 2.3L Wagon
    I've got a similar issue with my '07 9-5 2.3 SportsCombi.

My temperature gage eventually returns to normal and I can clear the P0116 fault code.

Could it be interconnecting wiring, a loose connection, or a failing sensor/thermometer?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by louie_louie_67 View Post
    I've got a similar issue with my '07 9-5 2.3 SportsCombi.

My temperature gage eventually returns to normal and I can clear the P0116 fault code.

Could it be interconnecting wiring, a loose connection, or a failing sensor/thermometer?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
    As stated the code covers both the sensor and the wiring however, contrary to what you may have heard, Saab wiring is pretty good so I would replace the sensor.