Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3

New Battery: what should I look for?

I have a 2004 93. I want to buy a new battery for it, as the one that's in the car is EOL or near it.

Aside from buying the correct size, are there any other things I ought to look for?

Thank you!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Don't forget to look at where the + and - posts are and the cranking amps

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Don't forget to look at where the + and - posts are and the cranking amps

Is more better? It doesn't get bitterly cold where I live; sub-32F is a rare thing, tho it does happen.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by 93catt View Post
    Is more better? It doesn't get bitterly cold where I live; sub-32F is a rare thing, tho it does happen.
    Getting a big AMP battery to crank a small engine might sound like overkill, but all the little computers draw a little power all the time while the car sits. When you first turn the key the lights come on, the seat starts to heat and system runs a full check of every other electric thing in the car and then you get to crank a winter cold engine.

Takes a while to recover the charge from starting the engine, longer with the lights, heater fan and seat heater on and this doesn't happen when you make those short walking distance drives because it's to darn cold, icy, or windy to walk. A couple months of nothing but daily short trips in good weather can run a battery down far enough to keep you from turning the key. When a battery gets to be a couple years old it only takes a couple weeks of that kind of driving when the daily temp stays in the teens and with the fan at the radiator turning on when the engine is turned off, hot weather driving can do the same thing.

Cranking amps are the numbers of amperes a 12v battery can deliver without dropping below 7v while cranking at freezing and a Saab, like so many other new cars won't let you unlock the wheel to push start a stick shift when the voltage drops below 9.

Look for the 750 CCA battery, if your budget can't handle a 750, a 700 will do if it's the best you can do In some parts of the world any battery will do, for US the closer you are to the Canadian border the more cold cranking amps the better.