Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast lowrider_rt2000's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3

2005 9-3 clutch kit and flywheel

Hello everyone. So I think it might be soon time for a new clutch. I have been trying to do research about the Cobalt SS clutch swap. All my research is just confusing me now. Will the Cobalt SS clutch work in my 9-3? I did go to my local auto parts store and the guy showed me on the computer that the only difference between the Saab and Cobalt, are the dowel pin's lengths. Also, how do I know if I have a dual mass or single mass flywheel without dropping the transmission? Thank you.

Sent from my 9-3

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by lowrider_rt2000 View Post
    Also, how do I know if I have a dual mass or single mass flywheel without dropping the transmission? Thank you.
    Odds are you have a dual mass, unless this isn't the first clutch replace and the flywheel was replaced too, then you look for marks made by a courteous mechanic or you find out when you pull the tranny. If you go with the Cobalt clutch, might as well get a single mass flywheel, if you need it you have it and if you don't you can always return it.

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Odds are you have a dual mass, unless this isn't the first clutch replace and the flywheel was replaced too, then you look for marks made by a courteous mechanic or you find out when you pull the tranny. If you go with the Cobalt clutch, might as well get a single mass flywheel, if you need it you have it and if you don't you can always return it.
    Thanks for your reply. It is the original clutch. It was a 1 owner car. The guy who I got it from was 72 and had a knee replacement. Only reason he got rid of it was he couldn't push the clutch peddle in after surgery. So if it is dual mass, do I need to do anything different to install a single mass flywheel? I found a real good deal on a stage 2 4 puck Cobalt SS clutch and flywheel. But before I buy the Cobalt kit, I need to confirm it will work with my Saab.

Sent from my 9-3

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    The Cobalt SS uses the same 5spd stick as the Saab and that bell housing bolts up to the same ecotech 2.0 so I can't think of any good reason that would keep this conversion from slipping right in, but I don't know anyone who has done this so all I can say about the stage 2 4 puck is that is should work. That and if you do tunner the Saab like a Cobalt expect a little wheel hop when you pop the clutch and punch the gas.

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    The Cobalt SS uses the same 5spd stick as the Saab and that bell housing bolts up to the same ecotech 2.0 so I can't think of any good reason that would keep this conversion from slipping right in, but I don't know anyone who has done this so all I can say about the stage 2 4 puck is that is should work. That and if you do tunner the Saab like a Cobalt expect a little wheel hop when you pop the clutch and punch the gas.
    Awesome! I still plan on getting a stage 2 or stage 3 tune done the the Saab too. I was expecting wheel hop. I had an Acura RSX with stage 2 tune and turbo. Dnyno'd 408 at the wheels. So I'm very familiar with some wheel hop and lots of torque steer.

Sent from my 9-3

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    If you do go for the stage tune, http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...01D030x&eq=&Tp= these work on a Cobalt, but it does have a different engine computer and someone who does Saab tunes should know if there is enough play in our ECM to make these work.