Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero

Tools for your Saab

I know this will sound stupid, but to save somebody from making a serious error, be aware that Saab nuts and bolts are Metric. If you are going to do any work on your Saab please obtain a set of metric sockets and spanners (wrenches) before you attempt to do anything. Trying to use imperial tools will damage the nut/bolt heads and may make removal impossible.

If you have an adjustable spanner (wrench) please take it to your nearest recycling centre, it has no business anywhere near your car.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    we don't metric freaks understand why all stuff on earth aren't in metric, seems so unreliable with all the scientific world ...okay you are world champion in fractions...
    SO good advice anyway...

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    Also invest in a good set of Torx Sockets.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    I would suggest a set of Torx keys, (like allen keys but with a Torx end) not bits, as they are stronger and less easily lost in inaccessible places. Sockets are fine but bigger and thus less able to get at some of the places Torx fasteners are used. It is also too easy to over torque small fasteners with a socket.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 AERO TURBO4
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
    I know this will sound stupid, but to save somebody from making a serious error, be aware that Saab nuts and bolts are Metric. If you are going to do any work on your Saab please obtain a set of metric sockets and spanners (wrenches) before you attempt to do anything. Trying to use imperial tools will damage the nut/bolt heads and may make removal impossible.

If you have an adjustable spanner (wrench) please take it to your nearest recycling centre, it has no business anywhere near your car.
    Love that bit about adjustable spanners:

Saab(s)
    9-7X
    As a Saab owner, you know that your car is special. You also know that it requires special tools to keep it running smoothly. Here are some tools that you should have on hand to keep your Saab in top condition.

First, you'll need a good set of socket wrenches. You'll use these to loosen and tighten bolts on various parts of the car. Be sure to get a complete set that includes both metric and standard sizes.

Next, you'll need a good selection of screwdrivers. You'll need Phillips and flathead screwdrivers to work on your Saab. Again, be sure to get both metric and standard sizes.

Finally, you'll need a torque wrench. This is used to ensure that bolts are tightened to the proper specification.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdytechy View Post
    As a Saab owner, you know that your car is special. You also know that it requires special tools to keep it running smoothly. Here are some tools that you should have on hand to keep your Saab in top condition.

First, you'll need a good set of socket wrenches. You'll use these to loosen and tighten bolts on various parts of the car. Be sure to get a complete set that includes both metric and standard sizes.

Next, you'll need a good selection of screwdrivers. You'll need Phillips and flathead screwdrivers to work on your Saab. Again, be sure to get both metric and standard sizes.

Finally, you'll need a torque wrench. This is used to ensure that bolts are tightened to the proper specification.
    You will not use any sockets other than metric on a Saab pre-GM, probably not on later cars either. We didn't get the Saab 9-7 in Europe so I can't comment on that car.

As far as I am aware, and as someone who used tools professionally for over 20 years that is a wide awareness, screwdrivers don't come in imperial and metric sizes, just make sure you get Philips not Pozidrive ones. Actually I have rarely used flat head or Philips screwdrivers but plenty of Torx ones, a good set or torx screwdrivers and a set of torx keys will prove invaluable

Unfortunately a single torque wrench will not cover the range of settings necessary for a Saab, the wheel nuts on mine require 110 ft/lb and the battery connectors 39.8 lb.in. I have three torque wrenches to cover the range.

Additionally, given the age of most Saabs, if you find the need to use an impact driver to undo a nut or bolt, make sure that you have impact rated sockets and eye protection.

It is also possible that you will have to make some special tools such as one to remove trim fasteners, the right tool will prevent damage to the plastic rivets allowing you to reuse them.
    Last edited by GeoffR; 20 October 2022 at 09:19.