Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5SE wagon, 2002 9-3 Viggen 3 door

fuel pump life

My 2001 9-5 SE coasted to a stop on Christmas eve. After having it towed home I determined the fuel pump has pumped its last. The car has about 155K miles so not too bad for a pump but not great. I should have he new pump assembly in by the week end. Ordered the ProParts replacement pump assembly for about $100.
    Being the type who wants to know what failed, I disassembled the assembly and then went after he pump itself and found the bushes in the motor have basically worn down to the point where they quite making reliable contact with the commutator ring in the pump motor.

My question is, is this a typical life for these pumps? I also have a 2002 Viggen with 140K miles and am wondering if I should be buying a pump for it as well instead of waiting to end up on the side of the road again.

Also what kind of luck has the group had with just buying the pump itself and replacing it in the assembly? Looks like the Bosch 69424 (F00E191840) is the correct pump or at least very close to the Walbro in the original assembly.

Geoffrey Storey
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-3 viggen convertible
    They usually good for about 150k so yours has done well to get to 155k.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    Knowing the proparts are usually crappy i'll bet your new doesn't last like the original one.
    you can use Bosch one, they have reputation on car parts.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    That's and interesting comment, I had thought the ProParts had a pretty good reputation?
    What is the experience of the rest of the group with ProParts?
    df14936
    2001 9-5 SE Wagon
    2002 9-3 Viggen 3 door

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    In tank electric fuel pumps last longer if you keep the tank at least half full, if the pump is easy to replace any pump will do. If you have to drop the tank to replace the pump, do yourself a favor and get the Bosch.

For most American cars I get more parts from rockauto in one year than I've used proparts in total and you can get a bad new or reman part from anybody. For foreign car parts online partsgeek mostly for Volvo and 1aauto mostly for Saab, like I said you can get a bad part from anybody. For new parts that don't work I can't say enough for 1aauto, haven't had a problem yet that's taken more than one phone call. For little jobs, big parts and remans, I always buy local.

Saab Enthusiast lowrider_rt2000's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    In tank electric fuel pumps last longer if you keep the tank at least half full, if the pump is easy to replace any pump will do. If you have to drop the tank to replace the pump, do yourself a favor and get the Bosch.
    So true! Letting your tank get super low makes the pump work harder. I know it's not a Saab but my 2000 Jeep has 178,421 miles on it and still using the OEM fuel pump. My buddies Jeep is a year new with way less miles and he replaced his at 135,000. He is one who ALWAYS waits to get gas when there's like 20 miles to empty. I was told when I got my 1st vehicle to never let it get below 1/4 tank. Only 1 time I let it happen. Weather it's true or not, I've never replaced a fuel pump in the MANY vehicles I've owned and most had over 200,000 miles on them when I sold or traded them in.

Sent from my 9-3

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    I had always believed that keeping 1/4 or so tank of fuel helped prolong the life of the pump as well. the idea was that since the pump uses fuel to keep it cool, more in the tank was better. I have run several BMW's to 300K miles and never replaced a fuel pump.

Looking at the unit from my 9-5, the flower pot design looks like it should help overcome this, as it keeps the pump completely submerged (so long as the tank is not completely empty.)
    I dissected the motor and the brushes had simply worn down to the point where they no longer contacted the commentator of the motor. So it doesn't seem like it should have been a lack of fuel or heat issue, just plain worn out.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by df14936 View Post
    I had always believed that keeping 1/4 or so tank of fuel helped prolong the life of the pump as well. the idea was that since the pump uses fuel to keep it cool, more in the tank was better. I have run several BMW's to 300K miles and never replaced a fuel pump.

Looking at the unit from my 9-5, the flower pot design looks like it should help overcome this, as it keeps the pump completely submerged (so long as the tank is not completely empty.)
    I dissected the motor and the brushes had simply worn down to the point where they no longer contacted the commentator of the motor. So it doesn't seem like it should have been a lack of fuel or heat issue, just plain worn out.
    I would imagine that worn brushes can be replaced.