Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero

2000 Saab 9-5 Aero Immobilizer problems.

Hi everyone, newbie Saab owner here but I've fallen in love. Tonight my Wife turned our 2000 Saab 9-5 Aero off and when she went to start it again the Ignition and Shifter were locked. The Security LED is blinking the Code for Electronic starting interlock immobilizer but my SSID Display doesn't work. We only have the one Key and no Key Fob. Here's where I'm getting confused, everything I've read and researched tonight says if it's the Electronic starting interlock the Ignition will still turn to the On Position, mine wont? My Baby is stranded and I'm at a loss as to what the real problem is? We're experiencing some ridiculously Cold Weather for Louisiana and I'm curious if this could be part of the issue. Thanks for any help.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5SE wagon, 2002 9-3 Viggen 3 door
    You are correct in that even if the immobilizer is not working, the key should still turn. So I would be suspicious that somehow you are not all the way into park. I assume that you have tried to work the gear shift lever with no luck.

You don't by chance have two Saabs like I do and are using the wrong key? Otherwise, I would guess you are into pulling the shifter/key mechanism apart.
    As far as cold goes, here in Northern Iowa, currently 15 bellow I never had a problem with the key due to cold.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    I totally forgot to specify that it's a Manual Transmission and currently stuck in Reverse. No, sadly I don't have 2 Saabs. My Wife was taking my Sons friend Home and that's where this happened. So it's pretty much blocking their Driveway.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Lots of moisture in that part of the country and when it gets cold enough that moisture turns to ice.

Sometimes times the mechanics of the steering and lock will hang up when the when the steering wheel has pressure on the pawl from being slightly turned when locked and wiggling the steering wheel and shift lever while working the key will break them free. Things get really stiff when moisture turns to ice and if the key lock is frozen stiff you might need to point a hair dryer at it for a while to warm things up.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    Well the only problem there is that the Car was only off for less than 5 minutes. Normally your right about the Moisture and Humidity here but last night it didn't get above 20%. We had a big Arctic High come in and we're getting a taste of the North Country today.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsaabguy View Post
    Well the only problem there is that the Car was only off for less than 5 minutes. Normally your right about the Moisture and Humidity here but last night it didn't get above 20%. We had a big Arctic High come in and we're getting a taste of the North Country today.
    Steering wheels sometimes get turned to an offset lock point while getting out of the car and old seals in the power steering can bleed off pressure after a turn that makes a wheel turn tight into lock, even more so when cold and if something wasn't stuck tight you should have been able to turn the key. Humor me and try giving it a good wiggle, who knows, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 Saab 9-5 Aero
    The Steering Wheel isn't locked. Just the Ignition and the Shifter locked in Reverse. We towed it Home which is a big relief. Now to research like crazy.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    no solutions ?? have you resolved your issue?