Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2011 Saab 9-5 2.0 L Diesel

Boot (Trunk rattle)

Hi all I have a 2011 9-5 2.0t Diesel saloon. The other day I went to dump rubbish at the recycle plant. Driving back there was a rattle as if I had not closed the boot (trunk)but no warning light showing. I parked and checked & boot (trunk) closed & tight. I went out later on and same again as soon as I hit a bump the boot (trunk) rattles the bigger the bump the more intense the bump. My guess is that the catch is opening when I hit a bump and closing again. Any suggestions or recommendations very much appreciated. Alan.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    The latch is easy to check, grab hold of the lid then violently push and lift. Have you checked to see if your spare tire and jack are stored tight, many a car has gone to the hoist making the sound of a broken shock only to find a loose spare or jack.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    When you went to the dump did you disturb the elastic loop that is there to hold an umbrella? If so it could be hanging down and hitting the metal work. Also you might check the two cubby holes under the boot lid arms, if they are loose they will rattle too.

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    The latch is easy to check, grab hold of the lid then violently push and lift. Have you checked to see if your spare tire and jack are stored tight, many a car has gone to the hoist making the sound of a broken shock only to find a loose spare or jack.
    Digger thanks for your reply. When the car is static boot lid feels tight shut with no play when I try to pull it up. I took the spare & jack out and drove round the block still rattle.

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
    When you went to the dump did you disturb the elastic loop that is there to hold an umbrella? If so it could be hanging down and hitting the metal work. Also you might check the two cubby holes under the boot lid arms, if they are loose they will rattle too.

GeoffR Many thanks for your reply appreciated. I have checked both these areas & all clear. Sound appears from my rear left mostly when driving and similar to driving if you hadn't properly closed the boot. I am wondering if the open button is faulty & is momentarily releasing the boot over bumps but closing again before it can open fully.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by V14DRS View Post
    I am wondering if the open button is faulty & is momentarily releasing the boot over bumps but closing again before it can open fully.
    Very unlikely as there is a message generated when the boot is open. Also the only button I have is on the remote so I can't see how that would cause the problem.

Get your head underneath the car and check that the exhaust is secure.

You might also want to check that the boot lid trim is still secuely attached and that the floor isn't lifting when you go over a bump.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    A lot of cars go to the hoist to check for broken shocks and loose tailpipes only to find a loose spare. All mechanics appreciate not finding something loose in the boot after taking time for a test drive and booking a service job that ends in having to tell a customer that there is nothing wrong with the car that they can charge to repair.

Geoff has already suggested that get your head under the car to check the exhaust and that is the next most likely cause for your sound. Not easy to get your head under this car while it's on the ground, so my suggestion for checking this is to grab hold of the tailpipe at the rear of the car and move it around like you are ringing a triangle bell. If you can easily clunk the exhaust against the chassis of the car, one of your rubber muffler hangers it probably gone.

Checking for bad bushings and broken shocks is a hands on job that requires some leverage and checking the exhaust hangers farther up the line means getting under the car. If you can't do this safely take it to a shop and have it done.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 Aero AWD Turbo6
    Hi check the plastic grab handle on the underside of the boot lid - mine had worked loose and rattled until I had it screwed back down again. Good luck!