Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 Saab 95 Vector SE Manual

2011 Saab 9-5 NG "Issue With Passengers Seat Heater"

Hi All

On my 2011 9-5 I am experiencing the following issue with the passengers side front heated seat.

I switch on the heated seat,The switch illuminates and the seat begins to heat.
    After 1-2 minutes the switch automatically switches off.
    The heating element is working as the seat does heat up.
    I have tried it on settings 1,2 and 3 with the same result.
    Anyone got any ideas.
    This is not the case with the drivers side.

Regards
    Denis Ryan
    Cork
    Ireland

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Is the passenger seat occupied at the time?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Is the passenger seat occupied at the time?

Good Evening
    Yes the seat was occupied, does that make a difference.
    Note the drivers seat was also occupied and no issue.

Rgds
    Denis Ryan

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballylickey03 View Post
    Good Evening
    Yes the seat was occupied, does that make a difference.
    Note the drivers seat was also occupied and no issue.

Rgds
    Denis Ryan
    Seats aren't supposed to heat when they are empty. A lot of them do when they shouldn't and no one seams to notice, but everyone notices when they don't heat when they should. Back before computers took over control of seat heat you knew that when the seatbelt warning worked you could always blame the thermocouple or the heater coil and that you would be pulling a cushion cover to fix. Now that computers control the bum toaster you really should check the programming first and that means Tech2 with Saab software security access.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Seats aren't supposed to heat when they are empty. A lot of them do when they shouldn't and no one seams to notice, but everyone notices when they don't heat when they should. Back before computers took over control of seat heat you knew that when the seatbelt warning worked you could always blame the thermocouple or the heater coil and that you would be pulling a cushion cover to fix. Now that computers control the bum toaster you really should check the programming first and that means Tech2 with Saab software security access.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    One thing I noticed last night was when the seat heater is on level 3 the relay clocks and then it switches off.
    Tried it at level 2 and the heater stayed working.
    I am beginning to think its the relay.

Regards
    Denis Ryan

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Thanks for the feedback.
    One thing I noticed last night was when the seat heater is on level 3 the relay clocks and then it switches off.
    Tried it at level 2 and the heater stayed working.
    I am beginning to think its the relay.

Regards
    Denis Ryan
    Meant to say the relay clicks.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    So it works on setting 1 & 2 but flakes out on 3 and a couple of things come to mind. The heating pad and the seat heater control module which gets its instructions from the body control module which eventually leads back to the user.

If you are going to fix this heats on first two settings and flakes out on third without spending money, you might get lucky and find a half bad connection where the stranded wire is half broken, but still connected, though not connected well enough to handle full current. Pull the seat cushion cover and check this wire first. The Caddy CTS seat comes apart the same way as my 06 Saab and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa-yiJrAaKI will show you how to access the wire where they usually break. I imagine the 2011 seat comes apart and looks the same, but I don't know if they do. If you get lucky enough to fix it here, hoist a pint in my name because the fix doesn't get any easier than this.

Next place to look is the plug connection at the seat heater control module, that means pulling the seat and looking at wires. Again this is a Cadillac control module, Saab calls the control line the I-BUS, but it works the same way and if you have to go farther up the line this little link will tell you how the smart?? seat works and it will save on a lot of questions http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=175214

Could always be the relay, I've never had one go bad on these stupid smart seats.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    So it works on setting 1 & 2 but flakes out on 3 and a couple of things come to mind. The heating pad and the seat heater control module which gets its instructions from the body control module which eventually leads back to the user.

If you are going to fix this heats on first two settings and flakes out on third without spending money, you might get lucky and find a half bad connection where the stranded wire is half broken, but still connected, though not connected well enough to handle full current. Pull the seat cushion cover and check this wire first. The Caddy CTS seat comes apart the same way as my 06 Saab and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa-yiJrAaKI will show you how to access the wire where they usually break. I imagine the 2011 seat comes apart and looks the same, but I don't know if they do. If you get lucky enough to fix it here, hoist a pint in my name because the fix doesn't get any easier than this.

Next place to look is the plug connection at the seat heater control module, that means pulling the seat and looking at wires. Again this is a Cadillac control module, Saab calls the control line the I-BUS, but it works the same way and if you have to go farther up the line this little link will tell you how the smart?? seat works and it will save on a lot of questions http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=175214

Could always be the relay, I've never had one go bad on these stupid smart seats.

After further investigation I have discovered the following.

Select level 2 on the heated heat switch.

After a minute or two it switches off.

After 3-4 times switching the heated seat switch on to level 2 it stays on.

It will not stay on level 3.

Any ideas.
    Im thinking the heater control unit for the passengers side seat.

Regards
    Denis Ryan
    Cork Ireland

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    After further investigation I have discovered the following.

Select level 2 on the heated heat switch.

After a minute or two it switches off.

After 3-4 times switching the heated seat switch on to level 2 it stays on.

It will not stay on level 3.

Any ideas.
    Im thinking the heater control unit for the passengers side seat.

Regards
    Denis Ryan
    Cork Ireland
    Possibly but if the temp sensor is open circuit the control unit will switch the heating off because it isn't detecting a rise in temperature so I would check that first. Get a copy of WIS for the wiring diagram.

Saab(s)
    2010 9-5 Aero
    I've had the same problem. It turned out to be the bottom heater element went open. It felt warm because the lumbar heater was still functional. I don't have the wiring diagram handy, but it's an easy measurement to make once you know the pins. If you remove the seat, you won't need the diagram to figure out which pins to probe.

After I replaced the bottom element, my top one died, so I'll have to change that one as well. Moral of the story..change both at the same time.

edit: found the diagram. I guess I was mistaken as they were in series...cant really explain why the seat felt warm to me, unless the thermistor in the bottom cushion is eventually what went open.

Name:  saab seat diagram.jpg
Views: 1808
Size:  34.9 KB
    Last edited by darrylg; 12 January 2018 at 20:48. Reason: found diagram