Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SAAB Entusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 2.3T

Exclamation 2008 9-5 w/ oil capacity -coolant leak-heater fan-battery killer issues

Hello all-
    This is my first SAAB, purchased in September 2017, and there are four issues that I now need assistance with from all those with vast SAAB experience. I truly enjoy driving it but these issues are rather perplexing to say the least. They are as follows:
    1. Oil capacity- The owners manual lists 4.1 quarts. Shortly after purchase, I changed the oil to Mobil1 Extended Performance 5W-30 (meets the original SAAB qualifications which have a new GM designation) and a Genuine Saab oil filter. 3.5 quarts were poured in and I let the car sit overnight so as not to overfill and top off. When I checked the oil level the next day, it was at the dipstick max level indicator. I ordered a new Genuine Saab dipstick to make sure, and it was the same level, but looked somewhat dirty. I didn't really think much of it at the time, but just to be safe yesterday after less than 5,000 miles I changed the oil again. 3.5 quarts came out, 3.5 quarts went in, as did a new Genuine Saab dipstick. Same thing. Full oil level and after driving absolutely zero miles it looked like the oil was old. I tried to figure out why, and originally settled on the theory that .6 quarts was still in the oil pan as sludge, which would explain the discrepancy and off oil color. But there was no sludge on the dipstick, the oil that drained was the same color at changing as every other vehicle I owned, and no globs drained from the oil pan or oil filter. Right theory, wrong cause. Going back to basics, every other vehicle I have owned had the drain plug at the bottom of the oil pan, which results in almost all the oil draining out. The 9-5 has the drain plug at the rear of the oil pan, and it is not at the bottom in the rear. It is high enough to allow the copper O ring for fit against it without extending past the edge of the oil pan (which is completely level). In other words, I have concluded that because of this design flaw only 3.5 quarts will drain, and .6 quarts of used oil remains in the oil pan due to that lip, so no oil change has 100% clean new oil in it. This would explain why the color of brand new oil looks old after a very brief period of circulating through the motor. If anyone else has noticed this, or can confirm my theory, it would help. I do not have any other rational explanation.
    2. Coolant Leak- While doing the oil change, I noticed that there were small drops of coolant on the bottom of the motor to the right of where the oil filter is. Several inches above that it appeared as well, but I could not confirm where the origin point was. It is a very slow leak, as this is the first time I added coolant to the reservoir tank and it was not there when I did the first oil change in September. It is slow enough in fact that there have never been any drops on the driveway. I checked the hoses that I could and did not find any leaks. The exhaust smells normal and the oil that just drained did not have any coolant in it. Again, any direction would be appreciated.
    3. Heater Fan- When on, it sounds like a clogged vacuum. The higher the fan speed gets, the marginally faster the heat wafts into the cabin. It does not heat up quickly, but it does heat up as the thermostat and temperature sensor were replaced shortly after I took delivery. I thought it may be a clogged cabin filter, which I have not replaced yet, but before I take apart the dash any help would be greatly appreciated.
    4. Battery Killer- I had a Bosch battery installed in October which nearly died two weeks ago during the brutal cold. Before its replacement was installed I looked for any parasitic loss causes, as a Bosch battery failing in two months just doesn't happen. It turns out the glove box light had never turned off since it was replaced in September and 3/4 of the inside of the glass was charred black from it. When the bulb was removed the circuit was broken. If anyone knows of any other causes that I should look at so the current battery lives a long happy life, please let me know.
    Thanks in advance to any SAAB enthusiast providing direction.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Oil capacity- You need to run the engine to fill the oil filter which has a capacity of 0.5L
    Coolant Leak- get under the car with the engine running and see if you can see where it is coming from
    Heater Fan- I suggest that you replace the cabin air filter, which is probably clogged
    Battery Killer- Check the switch on the glove box lid, DICE/TWICE should cut off the power after a period to prevent battery drain though.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    the heater fan is at slow speed when temp is cold in auto feature ( for letting the temp raise and drying air for avoiding moist on the windows) seems bad working ...
    the cabin filter can be clogged and the speed of flow is reduced it can be the cause too anyway a change hurt nothing..
    change procedure is here http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=165

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by swisssaabist View Post
    the heater fan is at slow speed when temp is cold in auto feature ( for letting the temp raise and drying air for avoiding moist on the windows) seems bad working ...
    the cabin filter can be clogged and the speed of flow is reduced it can be the cause too anyway a change hurt nothing..
    change procedure is here http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=165
    Bruno, he said "it sounds like a clogged vacuum" (vacuum cleaner that is) which is exactly what a clogged cabin filter sounds like. If it were summer he would be complaining that the air conditioning wasn't working properly too.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    Yeah Geoff agree but that's for edification of people that i have been said for the Auto Feature wonky behaviors coming up if you don't have read your owner's manual and know how it work (ask me how i know )

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    You should use Mobil I 0-40. Liters are marked on the jug. Change filter drain and fill 4 liters and go to bed.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Engine oil as recommended in WIS
    Name:  9-5 engine oil.JPG
Views: 631
Size:  60.5 KB

The oil he has is fine

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Actually that part of the WIS is wrong.
    Long life oil. Wtf is that.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brennan View Post
    Actually that part of the WIS is wrong.
    Long life oil. Wtf is that.
    About the only motor oil in the past 50 years that hasn't been advertised at some time as long, or longer life oil, is the single weight non detergent. By the GM definition, long-life engine oil for gasoline engines is full synthetic and has a drain interval that can be as long as 19,000 miles / 30 000 kms. And boy howdy is that WIS chart something beyond common sense comprehension.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Gentlemen, please tell me this, if Saab/GM don't know what oil to use, and they build the car, what qualifies you to determine otherwise?
    I used Mobil 1 0W-40 in my last 2.3T engine but 5W-30 will have higher viscosity warm and lower viscosity cold so may be more suitable in a cold environment.