Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1997 NG 900 SE

Front seat pan

Saw on another BB that it may be possible to remove just the lower front seat pan w/o removing the entire seat out of the car by removing 4 bolts/screws on a NG900. Checked WIS but it didn't specifically cover that. Anyone done it? Need to remove just the lower to replace/repair.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    If all you need to fix is the split seam you don't even need to move the seat much less take it apart. Few years ago I would have said grandmothers always have the curved needle and thread you need, today it's call great grandma, or visit a fabric and sewing supply store. After you have a couple of the right size needles and the right color thread, fill the holes in the leather and lace it up tight like you would if putting new strings in a shoe or boot so they won't come loose while hiking.

If you're good with your hands sewing the seam where it sits will take less time than pulling the seat apart.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1997 NG 900 SE
    This is the needle.

My issue is the leather has shrunk, and to get a good repair I need to loosen the bottom skin, re-sew, pull tight again. Looking for easier way than removing entire seat. May even just replace bottom pan with less worn skin from pick-and-pull. Have done upholstery before, hoping for an easier way to get pan out.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1997 NG 900 SE
    I think I've got a direction, just didn't do enough research. I checked out this link, and it has possibilities.

http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/2004..._Seat_Removal/

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1997 NG 900 SE
    After checking out my seat and link, I don't see what that other BB was talking about. Seats have to come out to access the seat belt bolt. It appears 2 torx bolts hold the front of the pan on, and the seat belt bolt on the side anchors it on the rear. Unless someone else has a trick, that's the only way I'm seeing. Supposedly there are 2 accessible bolts in the rear that can be removed and the pan can be removed w/o total seat removal, but it must be a 9-3 thing.

Speaking of 9-3 seats, have seen a few really good ones in the junkyard, but I know the complete seats won't for NG900 tracks w/o alteration, but perhaps I can hack seat pieces into my seat frames. Hate to see good seats go to waste in the yard.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    OG 9-3
    If you look around at saabcentral.com, there are a couple threads (dated) where people made up rail adapters to bolt the 9-3 seats into an NG900.

OTOH, you can also just swap the leather, which is an easier route.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1997 NG 900 SE
    I've seen those threads, but it just sounds like a lot of work. I like using the skins only idea. Though, I do love those Viggen upper seats with the good side bolsters. Not likely to see a Vig vert in the junkyard that hasn't been stripped

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    OG 9-3
    Quote Originally Posted by southsaab View Post
    I've seen those threads, but it just sounds like a lot of work. I like using the skins only idea. Though, I do love those Viggen upper seats with the good side bolsters. Not likely to see a Vig vert in the junkyard that hasn't been stripped

One your side of the pond, you can probably also find them in the Aero model of the standard 9-3, although I'm not 100% sure. When they built a comparable car over here, they included the Viggen seats in them.