Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD

Power steering leak at the reservoir cap

So, over the weekend I had a power steering fluid leak misidentified as an oil leak at the oil cooler gasket. It would benefit 9-3 owners to look at the reservoir cap or a diagram of Saab part # 12790707. A leak was identified at a service stop for another concern. The high point of the leak is immediately below the power steering reservoir cap but fluid has leaked done the hoses and onto the oil cooler. The oil was changed a week ago and a minor leak was noticed when the 9-3 was on a lift from underneath the car this weekend. The mechanic thought maybe the fluid was the recently changed oil since it was a light color.

I became concerned after getting the 9-3 home and looking at the power steering fluid reservoir and pump since they were covered in fluid and were above the oil cooler, that I might need to replace the power steering pump. After doing research online and watching some YouTube videos I became aware that a power steering fluid leak could occur at the reservoir cap gasket. Additionally, I became concerned with the power steering fluid level and possibly needing to add fluid to the reservoir. I have had no problems at all with the power steering. So, I measured the power steering fluid level and it was somewhat low. I then refilled the power steering fluid to what I estimated to be the normal level.

So, this is what I then found on close inspection of the cap: The cap has 2 plastic prongs which fit into 2 grooves in the reservoir. After one fits the cap onto the reservoir it twists into place to seal the cap on the reservoir. The gasket is metal and is held in place inside the cap by the two plastic prongs. One of my two plastic prongs was broken off and the metal gasket was missing. I found the metal gasket still in the motor bay. I have ordered the replacement cap. In the meantime I reinserted the metal gasket inside the cap and refitted the cap carefully back onto the reservoir and tightened the cap. Today I drove my 9-3 without problem and having cleaned the power steering reservoir area yesterday there does not seem to be a leak today.

At my oil change last week I saw a same black part discarded. The oil change service sheet states: power steering fluid full and no oil leaks. In other words I watched my cap be broken at the oil change without anything being said to me. Having taken off and replaced the power steering fluid cap several times to measure the fluid level myself it would be easy to break one of the cap's prongs.

So, if you notice a power steering fluid leak on your reservoir check the cap. If one of the prongs is broken get a new cap. My leak was caused by the metal gasket having fallen out. Even though I have a cheap temporary fix, I'm still getting a new cap. Too much pressure forcing the cap on or off will break one of the prongs. I hope this helps someone else in the future.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    Name:  IMG_6956.JPG
Views: 4394
Size:  82.9 KBName:  IMG_6954.JPG
Views: 4396
Size:  94.7 KB
    This is the broken cap which has been replaced. The new cap is a very secure fit and no leaks. You can see the metal gasket which just falls out of the cap.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Gary Fisher edition
    That metal looks like it has three waves in it. That would mean it is a compression spring. Any comments?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    You are correct. It is secure fit when the cap is not broken. Without the gasket, compression spring, a broken cap is an obvious leak.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    So, the cap does not leak anymore. I filled the reservoir up a little over the max line. The top of the pump around the cap is dry, however if I take a paper towel to the bottom of the pump I can still get a little fresh fluid on the paper towel at the reservoir plastic seam, the pump bottom metal post next to the reservoir, and in between at the bottom of the reservoir. I noticed fluid two days ago, yesterday, and today. Each time I completely wipe the fluid off, so what I am noticing if fresh. Is this residual fluid I am seeing just from gravity, or is there another small leak and where do I look for it? Thank you.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Sounds like a small leak and I use flower for finding small leaks like these. Clean the tank as dry as you can get and dust it with good old bred baking, fish frying, white flower, that fine white powder will stick to your tank and you can follow the line back to the leak.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    Intersting idea. I think I did better. I saw the leak. So, this morning without starting the motor I took a paper towel and confirmed power steering fluid under the back base of the power steering pump Banjo bolt.Name:  PSP3.jpg
Views: 4338
Size:  29.5 KBI took off the engine cover and unfortunately dropped one of the screws into the engine bay. This meant starting the 9-3 and moving it to look under the car. After retrieving the screw I decided to take some pictures to describe the location of the fluid on my paper towel when I saw a drop of fluid drip off the bottom of the pump right behind the banjo bolt location. I put a paper towel immediately to the drip area and the fluid was greenish power steering fluid. If I Did this right there should be 2 photos that I took and the bottom part of the EEuro picture of the pump. If not I will post the other 2 photos since all I can see in this view is one picture.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    Name:  IMG_6965.JPG
Views: 4355
Size:  77.5 KBName:  IMG_6966.JPG
Views: 4357
Size:  88.9 KB
    Other 2 pictures.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    On the top photo above you can see a drip area on the rubber hose directly under the power steering pump. I say this looks like a leak at the pump seal and not the banjo bolt. Anyone with more experience have a different opinion otherwise I am going to have the power steering pump seals replaced. Thank you. Sorry for the angle on the photos. That is how they uploaded. Down or the ground is to the right side of the photos.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    FIXED, and I'm very pleased. Replaced power steering pump seals, inner and outer. I want to thank: Digger for his encouragement, Auto Autopsy for 8 Common Saab 9-3 problems (12/20/2017) with #4 power steering fluid seal leaks, eSaabParts for it's parts diagrams and fast shipping, eEuroparts for it's individual parts pictures, and finally Meineke for installing the seals in a Saab upon my request. Leak is gone. The Meineke mechanic agreed with my analysis of the location of the leak. No leak after driving home from Meineke, no leak after letting the engine cool off, and no leak on the paper towel after 45 minutes. This morning I could see the leak on the paper towel within 10 minutes. Interesting that this was not a reservoir overflow leak, but a drip off of the bottom of the pump itself.