Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 convertible

Challenging mind teaser with my 2001 9-3

Hi everyone, new to this forum, but been reading a lot throughout and seems like there are very well informed helpful people here, hopefully some might be able to help.

I got a 2001 9-3 2.0 turbo convertible, automatic, normal ac (knobs not automatic climate) with a very weird issue. I bought the car with these issues so i know nothing about its past but hoping to resolve it. I got several things not working and i don’t know if they are related or simply a bunch of things that don’t work.
    1) abs/brake/tcs lights on dash
    2) headlights will not go off unless switch the car off, other than that as long as the car has a key switched in acc position, or the car is running, they’re on.
    3) interior lights don’t work
    4) soft top convertible doesn’t work
    5) driver door open warning only displays on dash if the car is in acc position, when i start the car with the door open, the open door warning disapears, switch off the car and the warning light comes back up.
    6) power outlet/cigarette lighter doesn’t work
    7) passenger or driver seat belt warning is not illuminated anywhere.

Now for what i have diagnosed and done, bare with me, each comment below corresponds to its related issue above.

1) abs etc lights on dash, cleaned the abs module cable terminals with contact cleaner. Nothing changed. Before doing that, the car out of the blue worked perfect for 3 miles and had no issues, switched off the car and back came all warning lights again (abs/brake/tcs/ and the triangle hazard)

2) checked the fuses and relays, all intact, removed relays and fuses, headlights switch off. Replaced light switch on dash, no difference. Noticed that fog lights only switch on when the light switch is at the position to turn on the headlights, and when i turn back the switch the foglights switch off, this indicates that it is not a switch related error.

3) checked fuses for interior lights and bulbs, all working and not burnt out, but lights won’t come on even when I open either door or by using the interior light switch located next to the ignition switch. Noticed also that the interior light switch does not illuminate like all other switches, it has no light on the switch.

4) when the abs/brake/tcs lights went out on their own and the car ran great for 2-3 miles, the soft top worked but i just couldn’t get the top to open all the way, now however the convertible top pump makes some noise and then sends out the message soft top fail, and that doesn’t always happen, most of the time no noise from the pump and just the message is displayed.

5) & 6) & 7) self explanatory

I replaced the battery terminals, checked my battery, alternator and starter and everything works perfect.

My main concern is that are all these issues related, could it be a faulty dice? I already removed the one i have now cleaned the terminals and put it back with no difference. I removed the dice and ran the car without the dice and no difference. I borrowed another dice from another saab 93 and 95 with a different dice number just to see if any change would happen but still nothing.
    My thoughts now are leaning to a faulty external fuse box, a faulty convertible pump (or needs oil), faulty internal light switch, faulty headlight relay.

Appologies for the long writing but you must feel my frustration by now, a quick thing about me, i am not a mechanic nor an electrician, I am a diy’er who has some info and knowledge on cars and electronics. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    1) related with a failing ABS module goes South (if you haven't have speed indicated could coming from broken wire on rear wheel hub if speed indicated it's module) you can reman it
    2) Fog lights works only when headlight switch is in ON =normal configuration
    on reading all your issues it seems clearly evident you need to hang a tech II on and read what your issues are.

Saab(s)
    2001 9-3 convertible
    Thank you for your quick comment. I will send out my abs module to bba on ebay, will check the soft top pump oil level. And regarding the rest ill handle after. Thnx!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Gary Fisher edition
    I presume the chimes are working on the seatbelt warning function.
    I think you have to remove the SID to access them on a SAAB 9-3. Don't Drop the Red Lense !

Get a short length of 1/8" ID vacuum hose. Use this to remove the old seatbelt warning bulb(s) in the display. If the hose is too tight, then cut a slit. Nothing else works better. (Hopefully no one made the bulbs greasy with their fingers. Otherwise, you may clean the hose with isopropyl on a cotton swab, and try again.)

Bulb:
    http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/9771...l-1-2w-989800/

I think the bulb specs are: "12v 1.2w red wedge T5",
    however, the T5 produces too many search errors so: "Red 12v 1.2w wedge 74"
    If you want a brighter and much more durable light, then: "74-RHP3" is a LED. You should grind the PCB tip with a stone to allow insertion without socket damage.

(On my SAAB 9-5 the seatbelt sign is overhead.)
    Last edited by avid0g; 25 February 2018 at 18:31.