Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1997 NG 900 SE

DIY top replacement

https://youtu.be/LiukpcSNaS0

Doing research on top replacement for my 97 vert. The above instructional is for 99 9-3 with the hydraulic system. Mine has electric. Question: would procedure be more or less the same?

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Took a quick look at the Utube and except that your first time is your not as easy as it looks learning experience, all day two man job with the blind leading the blind, you should get the job done in almost the same way. You will need a second set of hands and Mercedes, Saab, Volvo, all pretty much the same, would be as easy as you see on U TV if get help from someone who has ever helped or done any of these tops.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1997 NG 900 SE
    Lol, Digger, you're a bit pessimistic! Doubting my skill level... you've been reading too many of my posts [emoji6]

Disclosure: I've successfully replaced a top on a C900 successfully, which took a full day.

For the ng900/9-3, I assume the attachment for either is the same. Wanted to know if the frame reacts the same with the electric drive vs hydraulic.

Don't know if I'll DIY mine, but I love to research this stuff. Have seen a post where someone pulled a good top of an OG9-3 in a junkyard by detaching the top/headliner/frame by just unbolting the frame brackets (and other stuff) in each side. That would be a trick.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Nostalgic not pessimistic.
    Remembering how easy I thought it would be to replace a hard tonneau top where you could lift the back for easy access. I was half right.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1997 NG 900 SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Nostalgic not pessimistic.
    Remembering how easy I thought it would be to replace a hard tonneau top where you could lift the back for easy access. I was half right.
    Yeah, many times I've stepped in sh** attempting things. Still do it. It amazes me that complex processes are still simple when broken down. After all, the intricate interaction between the DIC and plugs is transferred via SPRINGS, of all things.

Back on topic, after further review, I suspect that I would need to switch to manual operation via the lever. My concern by doing so would be somehow confusing the control unit causing annoying DTCs. Perhaps removing battery cable to kill all power would be beneficial. IDK, hoping for some input from one who's done this.
    Trying to avoid a Tech2 for reprogramming.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    You do want to pull the battery cable to keep it from running down while the doors are open. Haven't heard any upholstery shop complain about having to call in a dealer to reprogram after replacing a top. Clearing the fault for the first few years of airbags cars when they hit the streets did bite a lot of guys in the butt.

If you don't have the owners manual get one before you start, just in case you need to follow the resynch procedure.