Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 2.3t
    I had this happen to me last year and thought for sure I did major damage. I got lucky and escaped unscathed. I believe I had a similar code pop up after the belt replacement and it turned out to be a disconnected vacuum line and a disintegrating hose. Hopefully your's is something similar.

Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Wagon 2.3T I4 (B235E)

Question

thanks for the reply, mike. I cleared the code and was thinking my mechanic did something like leave a hose off or a damaged hose.

Anything or any location in particular I should look for? I need to pass my inspection and without a clear code and some mileage behind it, I will not pass. Just need to get a few more months out of this car before moving. I really took great care of Yngwie and I'm bummed that he's having troubles. I don't want to sell him as "parts" because the car has been stellar, just the usual quirks that everyone else has.

Attaching pdf of OBDLink bluetooth reader report. Hope someone can advise. I have fresh plugs and a spare DIC to test with. Report.pdf
    Last edited by AT ONE SIR; 26 March 2018 at 23:46. Reason: attached pdf of OBDLink report
    2001 9-5 Wagon

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    This is one of those things where having an eye on the item makes for a faster find than the time it takes for typing. Looked at your report and see that cylinder 4 is the only? offending culprit. I imagine the engine compartment got hosed down pretty good when the kettle blew its cork and you would have noticed when changing the plugs if #4 was swimming in a puddle of coolant, if not it's time to test with the spare DIC. If you haven't gotten around to changing the plugs you will see if it is soaking wet, or by now slippery oily from coolant, if you find that give your plug boot, plug and everything around a good wipe down degreasing. While you have the plugs out wouldn't hurt to do a compression test while it's convenient if you have the tool. More a piece of mind test to while convenient to eliminate that middle of the night nagging thought of pricy repair.

While you're at that give every vacuum hose you see a gently tug, a leak should give you more of a misfire problem than just on #4, but while you're under the hood check them all just because you should do it at least once every 17 years.

Saab(s)
    Appreciate the response, Digger. I haven't had all 4 plugs until this morning (thanks amazon) so I hope to give your advice a run when I change them.

I hope all I have to do is give things a good dry cleaning. I don't have the pressure test tool, but might invest in one if I keep getting the code. I pulled on some hoses while the car was running because I changed the oil this past week, and they seemed to come off pretty easy and it's not clear how the red ringed clip clamps keep things secure. Seems like a flimsy setup and design.

I will do the work after work and report my results. Thanks again.

EDIT after changing plugs:
    I did not see any moisture or oily coolant around plug 4. all plug bays looked similarly clean, but plugs did look pretty worn for the amount of mileage they have on them so perhaps the DIC is going? I cleared the codes and kept the old DIC in. If I get codes again, I will swap out for my emergency DIC. If I get codes after that, I'll know Yngwie needs a bit more TLC from the Saab shop.

EDIT #2:
    Checked for codes today (no CEL) and am now getting 0300 random misfire. I'm going to test later with the swapped DIC to see where that gets me. not more than 10 miles since the clear after the plug change. No hwy trips, just here and there. The backup DICs are backups for a reason, so I'm not sure they will not kick codes themselves. Best I can do in my driveway until checking back with my indy.
    Last edited by AT ONE SIR; 29 March 2018 at 23:21. Reason: more info after changing plugs
    2001 9-5 Wagon

Saab(s)
    So after swapping DICs I still got the same 0304 code. The random code was gone and never returned.

I looked at the hoses and all seemed ok, but there was a plug in place of the hose under the large plastic cover which goes around the oil filling area, etc (part of the PCV upgrade/fix?). When I pulled the black plastic plug out, it ran fine, but then when I put it back in it seemed to choke the engine out and make it sputter. The car runs perfectly and has alot of power with no sputtering or drop offs (I had to accelerate quick to get into a lane). It's just the stealth code that is sitting there that is keeping me from getting it emissions tested.

Not sure what to do now, or what some of the other issues might be. There is no steam in the exhaust, no puffs or anything. Everything looks normal. Wondering how much it might cost at this point to get this great car passed. It runs great, which is what confuses me.
    2001 9-5 Wagon

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Still only cylinder #4 that misfires even with other unknown quality DIC's? You can easily add codes, but the odds of all your DIC's having a bad #4 are pretty darn slim.
    As you don't have anything to check compression with the, no cost test is swap fuel injector 1 with injector 4 and see if the misfire moves with.

After that check your cylinder for compression before you spend a dollar more on anything. Parts stores in Seattle have tools for rent or loan and you should do this before and after you run in some seafoam.

The few dollar, maybe even fix is to suck a can of seafoam through the intake vacuum line, you might have hard backed some carbon in the valve seats when it got to warm.

Saab(s)
    Thanks Digger. I will look into how to swap the fuel injectors and also see which is the intake vacuum line - need to crack my chilton's manual again. Just dont want to make things worse because it drives well. I always use the NGK (6779) BCPR6ES-11 Standard Plugs

EDIT: I didnt have time to do the injector switch as I just had some wrist surgery so I had to head back to my indy saab shop ask see if he could help me. I told him I tried 2 backup cassettes and they also returned 0304 quickly, as well as that I changed the plugs. I asked him about swapping the injectors and he said it wasn't the injector. He listened to the engine miss and heard my bad brake booster (been like that since I bought it) and he is convinced that it is the brake booster causing the code. The code never kicked in the 4 years I've owned the car, and the brake booster has always been "bad".

He offered to sell me a brand new DIC and if that didnt fix it, then he will take the DIC back and then wants to change the brake booster (~3hrs labor). I'm not too comfortable with spending $$$ chasing the problem as I want to sell the car, but I need to pass emissions so I can get new tabs for another 3 months. I'm moving and planning on selling the Saab, but I really love the car.

tl, dr; I haven't swapped the injectors or tried seafom and my indy thinks its the brake booster and wants to try a brand new saab cassette I'm not feeling good about any of it. We shall see.
    Last edited by AT ONE SIR; 04 April 2018 at 23:55. Reason: had to return to the indy saab for advice.
    2001 9-5 Wagon

Saab(s)

Thumbs up Problem SOLVED without spending a dime!

tl;dr at the bottom

OK, first off, big big thanks to DIGGER for teaching me more about my SAAB and helping me troubleshoot. I really cannot wait until I can help someone else who might have this problem. DIGGER, I hope you have a paypal because I would like to buy you a beverage of your choice! The "fix" process was embarrassingly simple. In fact, I'm not entirely sure how it all worked out, but I am grateful and will update the community moving forward.

I use an app called OBDLink and own the GREEN version of their bluetooth obd2 tool - model OBD LX. Sidebar-- It works great for those of you who own hybrid cars as well because you get detailed battery info and testing reports (using Hybrid Reporter app).

Just this morning my wife informed me that the check engine light came on, when scanned I was still getting the p0304 code. I figured it would fail emissions so I cleared the codes and went for a bit of a highway drive, just to see if I can hit the "readiness" standards outlined my the OBDlink app. In my case it was "WA - 2001 and newer". Did a bit of 55-65mph cruising not speeding (~10mi) with a/c, lights, radio, defrost and low and behold the app stated that my vehicle was "ready for emissions testing" and there were no codes. I was excited, but then had to turn around and drive in stop and go traffic for a few miles in order to get to the smog check. figured the code would kick like right before the guy took my ticket for testing! Fairly stressful bit but it all went well, no codes and I passed with flying colors on the first shot.

I mention this because the car is ONLY driven about 5 miles a day on surface streets, and weekly grocery runs. Literally "little old lady" mileage. I don't even pick people up at the airport anymore as I just call them an uber. I think Saabs need to be DRIVEN a bit. The car immediately ran better, didn't kick a code, and idles smoothly now after the little highway jaunt - which also included some passing and boosting. I forgot how fast and powerful the car feels. It's an impressive 4-cyl engine. I guess something just needed to get "blown out" or revved up to clear out some gunk or just shake off the cobwebs. I still might seafoam it, but I'm usually an "If it ain't broke..." subscriber. In any event, all is well with Yngwie, and I hope that if you have misfire or similar issues that this thread can help you solve them. This digital community really is the best one I have ever been a part of.

tl;dr: Was still getting same code now with CEL, cleared code/light and went for a quick freeway drive to see if I could get the car properly "ready" for testing and ended up passing. Car runs/idles better than before.
    2001 9-5 Wagon

Saab(s)
    Just another follow-up report and Yngwie is still running perfect and with zero codes. I've since moved and shipped him to the East Coast and driven him on a couple of 4hr roadtrips without issue. I'm sad to have to sell him now since we bought a new car last week and replaced the battery in our Prius. Someone is going to get a very nice Saab wagon. I'll really miss this car's versatility and high-end options. PM me if interested.

Thanks to everyone here who helped me take great care of him.
    2001 9-5 Wagon