Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 Aero Convertible 2.8T Auto (current) Previous: '71 99 Sedan, '74 99 Combi, '85 900 Combi

Question V6 2.8T Coolant Tank Issues and Questions

I've read quite a bit on this forum and elsewhere about the coolant tank issues with the V6. I have a 2009 Aero convertible with only 39K miles. Owned 3 months, I started to have Low Coolant light issues about a month ago. Here's the situation: No overheating, according to records, tank has been replaced. I replaced the cap after the problems started. Tech has done a pressure test: no leaks discovered. I have closely tracked the behavior for several days, and it is repeatable: Drive until completely warmed up (up to 25 min. or so); cool down at idle for one minute; stop with engine off for 10-45 mins; drive again. The light will come back on within a few minutes of starting. The next morning when it is stone cold, no loss of coolant (measured with a mm ruler used as a dipstick). My only logical conclusion is the the tank needs to be replaced (again). Possibly the excessive heat under the hood soaks the tank immediately after driving and in some way causes the sensor to malfunction (warping, bad electrical connection, etc?) Any other conclusions?
    1. I don't know when or how many miles ago the tank was replaced. The official Saab service center that did the pressure test looked it up to confirm all recalls were fixed, but I didn't think to ask when the tank was replaces.
    2. Is there a diagram of the float/sensor in the tank, or has anyone cut open an old one? I'd be curious to see it.
    3. Is it possible that the electrical connection for the sensor is bad, loose or corroded?
    4. What database or site is available to get the service info? I looked at GM and they don't list Saab anymore on the dropdown to register as an owner.

I realize that there could be internal leaks or tiny leaks where the coolant evaporates before forming drops, but neither of those explanations seem to fit what I've said above (no loss of coolant when measured consistantly.) I will gladly replace the tank if that's what it takes. Any help from the group will be appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    When you have a problem like the the one you have described and no tools or technical documentation. Find and fix by pulling temp sensor connector when low coolant displayed and coolant tank is full, use something, even a paperclip to jump pins 1 to 2 and if low coolant light goes out pull the tank and a good cleaning is often all that is needed to fix.

If the light stays on with pins 1 & 2 connected start checking and wiggling wires as the problem is farther up the line.

Go up to the Tech Talk section and in the first "sticky" you will find a link windows 10 WIS. The workshop information system and your own Tech 2 are invaluable in maintaining your car.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 Aero Convertible 2.8T Auto (current) Previous: '71 99 Sedan, '74 99 Combi, '85 900 Combi
    Thanks Digger. I will try to check this out.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    If you find you need to clean the tank to make the sensor stop sticking, you may not find a utube how to for a Saab, but this is a GM car and a how to for a Saturn will do.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    OK, thanks!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)

Resolved

I want to post a followup to my problem before this thread gets too stale. Thanks, Digger, for your comments. I ended up having my tech (an official Saab service center) replace the tank, with the request that they also check the electrical connection to the sensor. They found no problem with the connection. They installed a new tank and upper hoses. The new tank has been in the car for almost two weeks now and the problem has not resurfaced. I’ve driven through several warmup/stop/restart cycles, which would have triggered the warning light before. I kept the old tank so that I could do some investigating. One interesting observation: The plastic tab indicating the High fill level is broken off. No wonder I could never see it. So I guess that means that there’s a small piece of plastic somewhere in my cooling system. The “sensor”, or at least the piece that the electrical plug connects to, detaches quite easily once the tank is out of the car. See photo below. If this part happens to be part of the problem, it would have been nice if GM had decided to sell it separately from the tank assembly. BTW, the tank that I just had removed is the new style, and was installed in the car in 2011.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 convertible 9-3; 2007 93 Aero v6
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero51 View Post
    I want to post a followup to my problem before this thread gets too stale. Thanks, Digger, for your comments. I ended up having my tech (an official Saab service center) replace the tank, with the request that they also check the electrical connection to the sensor. They found no problem with the connection. They installed a new tank and upper hoses. The new tank has been in the car for almost two weeks now and the problem has not resurfaced. I’ve driven through several warmup/stop/restart cycles, which would have triggered the warning light before. I kept the old tank so that I could do some investigating. One interesting observation: The plastic tab indicating the High fill level is broken off. No wonder I could never see it. So I guess that means that there’s a small piece of plastic somewhere in my cooling system. The “sensor”, or at least the piece that the electrical plug connects to, detaches quite easily once the tank is out of the car. See photo below. If this part happens to be part of the problem, it would have been nice if GM had decided to sell it separately from the tank assembly. BTW, the tank that I just had removed is the new style, and was installed in the car in 2011.
    Thanks for posting the follow up on this. Question where did you take your car in for official service? A regular GM dealer? I just got a 2007 and would want to take the car in to see what recalls have been taking care of. Thanks!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Hi Cloves, No it was not a GM dealer. It's Scandinavian Import Servicecenter in Rockville, MD. They've been working on Saabs and Volvos for 30 or 40 years. When Saab went under, they notified customers that they were now an official service center, or whatever it's called. The service mgr had access to the database which shows all of the recalls, etc. I imagine that a GM dealer would have the same access, just needs the VIN. Good luck with your car!