Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Andy
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5 Arc 2.3T

Clutch leak? Help please!

Hey all- can you experts please give me some help? I believe I have a clutch leak somewhere. I have had a small pool of Brake fluid (I'm 99% sure it's dot3 not oil) on my garage floor when I get home each evening, and after the car has been off for a bit the leak stops. Probably stops right away(no pressure) but drips for a few minutes after turning car off. I have attached some photos I took of the underside of the clutch/Trans housing. I've tried to see where the leak is coming from but since it seems to be pressure related I have been unable to see where it's originating. Anyone seen similar images?

My fluid reservoir does not seem to be low but the car is new to me, so maybe topped off before I got it and slowly falling? I can also add that the Clutch is working normally. Plenty of pressure, engages about halfway down/up. I do not have fluid in my interior. No issues getting in and out of gear. Please share your thoughts.

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Bottom pic looks like you have juice trail on the outside back side front side of the case. If pumping the clutch while sitting still doesn't make you a decent sized puddle check your power steering fluid level.

Andy
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5 Arc 2.3T
    Yeah it seems to be dripping from 3 or 4 of the lowest points of the case, and on both sides. Tells me its centrally above it somewhere as opposed to one side or the other which would make it easier to narrow down. I haven't been able to locate yet but I will have time in the garage this evening- wife and kids are headed to a play date which means garage play time for me.

It'll be in the garage all weekend while I tinker with other things between trying to figure out the source of my leak. I'll check all reservoirs including power steering as you mentioned and I'll have someone help pump the clutch while I looks for seepage. Really hoping it's something external and simple!! More to come. Thanks!

Andy
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5 Arc 2.3T
    **Update**
    I had time this weekend to get the car in the garage and try to diagnose. I wiped everything clean that I could, and after a little drive I have some sweating under the gear selector shaft(see photo). This area was completely dry before my drive. Seems as if my gear selector shaft seal may be the culprit? Would the experts here agree?

Has anyone here replaced this seal? Is this something I can do without dropping the transmission? Any help or guidance is much appreciated!
    Name:  Gear selector leak.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  61.9 KB

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    You don't need to pull the tranny, but you do need the tool. Millions of cars have this tranny and you should be able to get the seal puller from NAPA.

Andy
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5 Arc 2.3T
    Got it thanks Digger. A few members over on another Saab board think this spot is too high up to be leaking like it is saying most of the fluid should be lower in the trans. However I've pretty carefully checked the master brake cylinder as it's directly above this shaft, and so far I do not think it's the culprit. Plus after my initial drive the only wet spot was directly below the shaft, leading me to this seal again..

I'll know more this evening as longer drives seemed to give me a bigger 'puddle'. I have about a 50 minute commute from the cities to the northern burbs to get home from work so I should notice a more sizable wet spot tonight when I get home and hopefully this helps me locate. Thanks Digger.

Andy
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5 Arc 2.3T
    Pretty good wet spot under the shaft when I got home from work. Wiped it clean and dry and went for a 10 mile drive- wet spot was back. No dripping from above anywhere and the spot basically starts at the bottom of where the seal is so now I'm 99% that it's the shaft seal- BUT.....

Shouldn't the fluid coming out of this seal be trans fluid? Reddish in color(which it's not)? I swear the fluid coming out is nice clean motor oil. Feels like oil, smells like oil, looks like (very clean) oil so its....? I'm almost positive it's not brake(clutch) fluid at this point. They don't smell the same, the brake fluid reservoir does not look to be dropping and again, where the gear selector shaft enters should be the trans meaning trans fluid, not clutch right?

So while I think I actually have the issue narrowed down to the shaft seal I'm still very confused. I'll know more when I get a chance to get the car on the ramps and pull the transmission drain plug-likely this coming weekend. I need to know whats in there. I will only pull it enough to get a few drops out just to see what's in there but this is probably as good a time as any to do a fluid change- 112,000 miles..

Anyone have any thoughts until I can find out what fluid is in my transmission? Thanks!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Your car is a stick and your tranny fluid is gear oil The WIS lists oil type MTF 0063 which should be a pinkish red, but that doesn't mean it wasn't replaced with some other synthetic at some time and if you don't know for sure what you have, flush before you fill. These fluids don't like to be mixed.

Just to be on the safe side, make sure you can get the fill plug out before you pull the drain plug. The fill plug threads are above the fluid line and sometimes they don't want to budge.

Andy
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5 Arc 2.3T
    Thanks Digger. Definitely plan on a good flush before filling for good! Thanks for the tips including the fill plug- Don't want to drain the fluid without being able to get new fluid in! It'll be interesting to see what the last owner has in there. It shifts good but my leak isn't pink or red! At the very least I hope it's a clean oil color that comes out so I know for sure that THAT is whats leaking from my shaft seal.

I'll update when I have a chance to find out- hopefully this weekend. Thanks!

Geoffrey Storey
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-3 viggen convertible

That might be helpful.