Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD

Incredible, third Power Steering Fluid leak!

Name:  PSPL.jpeg
Views: 1747
Size:  70.1 KB

So, I wanted to confirm that the Power Steering Fluid leak was fixed, but I kept getting trace amounts of fluid at the bottom of the power fluid pump next to the power steering fluid reservoir. Last night after the engine cooled I took the engine cover off and put a paper towel under the power steering fluid pump and reservoir. This morning there was power steering fluid on the paper towel. Quick trip to AutoZone this morning for some Pentosin CHF 202 (for the leak), 1 oz. of AutoPro fluorescent leak detector dye, and a UV leak detection kit. After putting the dye in the reservoir, I drove the 9-3 this morning before returning to my garage.

The picture shows a bright spot at the base of the "tube" running between the pump and reservoir. This is part of the pump, not a hose and does not have a replacement part. The replacement part is the entire pump with attached reservoir. For orientation, the white light is reflected off of the top area of the Banjo Bolt with the intense fluorescent area at the leak and a less intense fluorescent drip area spot below. After I took the picture but before writing this post I wiped the base of the pump with fluorescent dye now identified on the paper towel.

I had suspected this area due to the continued leak, but the leaking cap and seals leaked much more fluid than this area. If I had done the dye earlier I not sure I would have noticed this area with the amount of fluid leaking from the other areas. I did not see any problems with the hoses or connections. Thought you would want to know.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    The sad truth of plumbing is that you don't find the small leaks until the big leaks are fixed. Big leaks, little leaks, I'd rather a leaking power steering system I can see and fix than a flaky EPS that decides all by itself that I need to make a sharp right turn at 60.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    I love your night club ambiance picture .... okay i go out

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    As expected a new power steering pump fixed the leak. There must have been some interior seal between the pump and reservoir which leaked. Only fix is to replace the entire pump.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3

Rebuild, replace seals, or buy new

So... with all the discussion on 9-3 Power Steering Pump leaks does it make sense to rebuild the existing pump by replacing the inter and outer seal, purchase a rebuild/reconditioned pump, or simply replace with new the power steering pump?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiekerrey View Post
    So... with all the discussion on 9-3 Power Steering Pump leaks does it make sense to rebuild the existing pump by replacing the inter and outer seal, purchase a rebuild/reconditioned pump, or simply replace with new the power steering pump?
    Repair or replace is more a judgment call than a rule of thumb. Same for replace with good used, reman , or new. Doesn't seem to matter if it's brakes or steering, when the plastic reservoir leaks where it joins the metal, it's considerably less frustrating to replace the entire unit than it is fool with fixing that leak. In and out seals are cheap and easy to replace, but plumbing is plumbing and you don't know you have a small leak until the big leak is fixed.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    It cost an extra $150 to do the repairs before replacing the pump. It was my way of trying to avoid spend $300 to replace the pump which I did anyway. Using the dye was the only way I could identify the 3rd leak and the area was already flooded with power steering fluid from the cap leak which was obvious. If I had used the dye maybe I would have saved the price of the seals and service charge in replacing them. I did salvage the cap and the outer seal from the old pump. I could not get the inner seal out without damaging it.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3

So... Replace the entire Power Steering Pump as the car ages

Quote Originally Posted by 100%Saab View Post
    It cost an extra $150 to do the repairs before replacing the pump. It was my way of trying to avoid spend $300 to replace the pump which I did anyway. Using the dye was the only way I could identify the 3rd leak and the area was already flooded with power steering fluid from the cap leak which was obvious. If I had used the dye maybe I would have saved the price of the seals and service charge in replacing them. I did salvage the cap and the outer seal from the old pump. I could not get the inner seal out without damaging it.
    So... Replace the entire Power Steering Pump as the car ages. That is what I get from all of my research. The Pump is a consumable. The seals, both inner and outer should be replaced on a regular interval, but other plastic parts, internal to the pump, just are not reasonably available or cost effective to replace when you take in to consideration your time. $300 for a new pump vs several hours of seal replacement, leak hunting, fluid swap, black lights and magic.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3

Almost forgot - What is the root cause for the Power Steering Pump Seals leak?

Quote Originally Posted by jamiekerrey View Post
    So... Replace the entire Power Steering Pump as the car ages. That is what I get from all of my research. The Pump is a consumable. The seals, both inner and outer should be replaced on a regular interval, but other plastic parts, internal to the pump, just are not reasonably available or cost effective to replace when you take in to consideration your time. $300 for a new pump vs several hours of seal replacement, leak hunting, fluid swap, black lights and magic.
    On a 2003 9-3 ARC with 84,000 miles - Can anyone comment on what would cause the Power Steering Pump Seals to fail resulting in engine oil in the Power Steering Reservoir as well as Power Steering fluid around the reservoir? One opinion is that the PCV valve has failed resulting in over-pressure on the entire engine. Another opinion is that after 15 years just replace the seals ... it's time. Thoughts? In other words... I don't want to replace the Pump if the PCV System is the cause ....

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    I have a 2008 9-3 2.0T SS bought new with 83,500 miles now on it. There has never has been any engine oil in the power steering fluid reservoir. The over flow leak was from the broken cap. After the cap was replaced the over flow stopped and the leak noted off the bottom of the reservoir was less with the seal replacement but not completely stopped. I did not prove the seals were leaking before replacing them. I did prove the pump/reservoir was leaking with the dye test. I currently do not appear to have a leak. Thank you for educating me on the PCV valve system. I do not have any symptoms of a PCV failure otherwise.