Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Owner
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-3 Aero

Slow Battery Drain & Stereo

What's up, Saab Family.

I've been having an issue with a drain on my battery. I have reason to believe that the light in my glove compartment never shuts off. Someone offered this idea to me and attempting to get the light to shut off by hand, pushing in the latches and the light never cut off. Is there any way to disconnect the light?

Also, after my most recent time jumping the car off, my radio and SID are not working. After checking the fuse in the fuse box by the steering wheel, I discovered the fuse is not blown. Everything else (at the moment) seems to be working fine otherwise; windshield wipers, lights, etc. However, the AC is now in Celsius. That's the only other difference since the jump start that i've noticed. Can anyone offer any other places for fuses for the SID and radio or any other trouble shooting options? I'm really hoping (praying) I did not do any permanent damage to the information display and the radio.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Jumping a car can cause serious electrical damage to the car being jumped and or the car providing the jump, hopefully pulling the battery cable resets everything and you don't need to start shopping for replacement parts.

Pulling the bulb from the socket is always the easiest short term solution for your glove box light and there are a million junkers in the u-pull yards waiting to donate a switch that fits.

Saab Owner
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
    So just removing the bulb should do the trick you think?

Yeah, I do understand there are unfortunate risks of jumping cars off. I have removed the battery, letting it charge for a little, then will place it back in the car. Fingers crossed this works. So there are no other areas that a fuse is involved with the infotainment system?

Saab Owner
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
    I just replaced my battery, but to no avail for my radio/SID. I also removed the light from my glove compartment, so hopefully it saves my battery. Only problem is, I have no radio! Please tell me there are other fuses involved other than the cluster by the steering wheel...

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    While you are waiting for your battery to charge check every fuse you can find from under the hood to inside the trunk.

I know enough about GM to have a good relationship with my Saab 9-3 and still it does things that I can't explain. A couple of months ago a broken wheel sensor wire gave me a traction ABS fault, It also caused the steering wheel not to lock, wonderful problem to have as steering wheel not unlocking is the insurmountable problem listed on every Saab forum posting I can find to read. Fixing the broken wire fixed the steering wheel lock, ABS sensor wire should have nothing to do with the steering wheel lock and unplugging the sensor after fixing the broken wire had no affect on the steering wheel lock.

Saab Owner
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
    I'll have to run through my fuses. Hopefully I'll have a similar scenario. After putting the battery back in, the radio still doesn't work.

Saab(s)
    9-3 2.0T Sport Estate US Spec MY2006
    No worries about interiour lights draining your battery. Leave open your glove box, lock your car with the remote and you will see that the glove box lighting will switch off. How intelligent...

The front Amplifier (AMP1) has a fuse in the engine bay fuse panel, check fuse 25.

Also check your owners manual for the location of fuses. If you don't have a paper version, use the following: http://www.vadengmpp.com/owners-manu...6-Saab-9-3.pdf

Saab Owner
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
    Ok. Thanks for the information. I’ll check that fuse and let you know what I find.

Saab Owner
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
    Good News. I had to replace every fuse associated with the stereo system along with the one for the cd changer and SID display. Everything is on and working now, however it seems that the head unit isn't communicating with the cd changer. Thankfully, the changer ejects and accepts cd's, but when I press the cd option on the head unit, it gives me a message similar to "No CD Available". As a result of this, I can't access the AUX option, either. Any thoughts?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    If you have your own Tech 2 and TIS, the first no cost fix is reprogram the changer to the car. If that doesn't work you get to do it again when you replace the bad component.