Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 convertible 9-3; 2007 93 Aero v6

Question Saab 2007 2.8 V6 Coolant Leak - Puddle Below Intake Manifold

Hi everyone, so picked up an 07 a few months back and a week later noticed a coolant low message, so naturally added coolant. I had the car sitting outside and started it up on weekends. Come last week I brought the car into the garage so I could change my fluids and I got the coolant low level again. I then noticed I had a drip on the floor of coolant. I noticed I had a pocket of coolant below the intake. It was hard to see but it was puddled after carefully inspecting. I decided to take a deeper look, took the intake off and of course which only allowed me to get a endscope camera under the intake and sure enough I had coolant pooled in all the pools on the top of the block. So then I inspected further and noticed that the I had small drop of coolant coming from the reserve tank on the hose above the turbo. Looking at the location I can't imagine that the coolant made its way to under the intake. I then looked on the other side, I also had a drop leaking from what I assume is the o-ring in the metal return line (passenger side). Again looking at this I can't imagine the coolant makings its way to the center of the engine. Maybe its possible but I am doubtful.

Here are some photos. Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing the leak? My next steps will be to pressure test the cooling system see if it hold pressure and use some UV dye. Its so tight under the intake manifold not sure what good will come of it. It was hard to stick my endscope camera below the intake when I reassembled the intake and very hot because of the turbo.

Leaking o-ring is here, borrowed from other user's photo.

Saab(s)
    2007 9-3 Aero MT
    Any update on this? Just found this post via Google.

I have coolant leaking, not sure where yet. Just really curious to see what you found out.

Thanks!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2006AeroGuy View Post
    Any update on this? Just found this post via Google.

I have coolant leaking, not sure where yet. Just really curious to see what you found out.

Thanks!
    I am in the process of changing the orings. I suspect the leak is coming from the left side (passenger) of the engine. In the diagram below its 21 and 22. Major amount of hours to get to this beast for me. I already took the ruber gaskets out and put new ones in. I haven't filled the car up yet as it is in the garage.

You cant see where the rubber goes on the other side but this is the metal part, coolant something or other in the WIS

Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 turbo X; 2005 9-3
    Did that solve the issue or are you still fighting with it. Hopefully it was the O rings and nothing else major, waiting on how yours went before I attempt it.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Still haven't fully finished that and the other things I am swapping out of the car. Work has been over the top last few months.

Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 turbo X; 2005 9-3
    No worries, I think I will start on mine this weekend. Have some other issues like blown amber led lights on the headlight assembly which looks like it will mean a new headlight.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quman12 View Post
    No worries, I think I will start on mine this weekend. Have some other issues like blown amber led lights on the headlight assembly which looks like it will mean a new headlight.
    Finally finished the job and got the car back on the road, unfortunately it looks like the leak is still happening. I filled up the coolant reservoir above the little L low Mark indicator and then warm the car up and then let it idle and saw a few drops on the driveway. I then took about a 35 mile trip and noticed that the coolant was a hair below the L mark. I'm going to refill it to see if it was just a fluke but I suspect I'm still dripping coolant.

Mike

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.3T, 2009 9-3 Aero 2.8T Vert
    Although it doesn't make sense, the fact that you saw coolant coming from the reserve tank area would suggest that you may want to change that tank. They are notorious for leaking, and SAAB had a service recall on 2006 - 2009 V6 Aeros. https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/s...d.php?t=163133

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Thanks for the reply so it's looks like the leak is fixed. After driving the car around the coolant I saw was leftover, I have been driving the car for a month now coolant have moved. Those oring gaskets on the passenger side were the culprit.