Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    New, reman and used, unless you see something physically wrong, you don't know for sure until you install if you got a good part.
    Returns by mail take time and I don't do remans by mail unless there is no local reman part available. Rock Auto does sell Cardone, I've never had a problem with a Cardone reman from Rock, but that might just be luck.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-3 2.0T
    Got one...finally. Now we have trapped air in the master and lines. Bleed bleed bleed....I should have bought stock in brake fluid manufacturers.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    A special (bench bleeding) hose set makes bleeding the master fast, easy and without loss of brake fluid. These usually come with new master cylinders, but you can make a set real easy out of the right size vacuum or fuel line. Just need a leak free fit to the master outputs and hoses long enough to go below the fluid level of the brake reservoir. Get the air out of the master before you start bleeding the lines and the job is quicker and uses less fluid. After that bleed the right rear, then left rear, then right front then left front Most of your bubbles will come out the right rear and the other three bleed real quick.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-3 2.0T
    You're right about that! That right rear was INSANE! However now I have the dreaded sponge pedal. Pretty sure, considering I used a vacuum pump, gravity bled, and had someone push the pedal, that I got all of the air out of the lines and master, but I'm betting there's a bubble in the ABS module. It feels different after hitting the road and getting aggressive, making the ABS module work. Hopefully I dislodged it and can flush it out. Any more tips/tricks/suggestions are always greatly appreciated.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    With the engine running vacuum boost makes the peddle feel spongy when you pump the brakes, on this car having the key turned to on can do the same thing. If you can't pump the peddle to rock hard when the key is off you still have air in the master or a leaking inner seal.

I always worry when it comes to brakes and steering, you can never be to careful or thorough. Wonderful feature I discovered when doing the brakes on my 2006 is the programmable brake peddle, plug in the Tech 2 and you can set it for how you want it to feel. Now when I pull the old TC Maserati out of the garage in the spring, I get the same brake peddle feel on that that I am used to having on the Saab. No more yelling whoa nelly in one car when you come to the first stop sign or kissing the steering wheel in the other when switching between cars.

DOT 4 Brake fluid collects moisture over the years, not as much or as fast as DOT 3, but it still collects and water changes the way brake fluid compresses. Fresh brake fluid flush in a car that hasn't been flushed in years always changes peddle feel, or you could still have some air. I'm an old school bubble chaser and still have a glass bleeder jar so I can see if bubbles even try to float to the top through the brake fluid in the bottom.

The WIS has a different way of making sure all the air is out of the lines when you start with a dry master and the vacuum bleeder tool it specs won't let you see the tiny bubbles flowing through. The jug is opaque, the clear plastic line stiffens with age, the rubber fitting gets loose with use, operating air pressure changes between compressor cycles and experience has taught me to use an extra in line air regulator and not to trust this tool to work on its own. Vacuum bleeding is a good one man way to bleed, but I still use the old glass jar to check before I call the job done.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-3 2.0T
    Aye, I prefer to see or feel what I'm working on normally. I use surgical or aquarium clear tubing whenever I bleed, regardless of other equipment, so I can see the fluid/air. I have replaced every drop of fluid in that car now. I haven't gotten a single bubble out after the surge of air Tuesday from the right rear, but the pedal is soft. Feels softer than my Frontier, also with ABS, and the miata is non-abs and is the most difficult pedal to push. They all stop, so I'm not hugely worried at the moment. Wish I had the $500+ to get a tech 2 setup.