Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 9-3 SE

01 9-3 SE won't idle and bucks at 2000 RPM

So I've been trying to get my CEL to turn off (P0101 - MAF sensor performance) for a good while. I changed out the MAF sensor, throttle body, and vacuum lines but it just won't turn off. The other day while I was entering the freeway, it suddenly started bucking at about 2100 RPM. I could accelerate, but it wouldn't let me go past 2100 RPM (so my top speed was just under 60mph). I stopped by Advance Auto to get the codes checked and got P1530 and P0172. I took off the TB and found that the o ring was busted. Since I had another, I slapped it back on, but the problem didn't go away. To get it started, I have to start in N and give it a good bit of gas and never take my foot off the gas while I switch between N, R, and D. Any thoughts?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    You need to read more than codes, you need to do a little engine running reading and examine the sensor voltages. Sure a P0101 usually means you have MAF trouble, but it doesn't always mean you have a bad MAF sensor. It can also mean that you have an air leak, which you have looked for. It can also mean you have a bad throttle position sensor and the MAF isn't moving the air it thinks it should be for where it thinks the butterfly is. It could also mean you have more back pressure than you should because you have a plugged up catalytic, or you could have a bad vacuum valve and the codes the computer throws won't tell you what sensors are reading what, for that you need to observe engine operating parameters.

You could get something with a little more smarts than a code reader and spend hours checking every thing you can and learning what every reading should be, or you can clean the throttle body, replace the throttle position sensor and if that doesn't fix the problem, take the car to your local mechanic. This isn't rocket science, but it does take a couple hundred dollars worth of tools that will pay for themselves a dozen times over, after you learn how to use them.

A throttle position sensor is cheap, these things do wear out, the car is 17 years old and if the sensor is original, even if it isn't the problem the money won't be wasted.