Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    04 9-5

Blend Door Stumper?

Hello all. New Saab owner here. Just picked up a 2004 9-5 Aero...a great deal with only a few undisclosed issues that I've already fixed. I'm posting this at a few sites because forums like these are one of the few reasons the internet should still exist.

Onto the ACC issue. Calibration gives constant code 19 (I think the display is from another model/year, so I ignore it), but also 08 (shows every calibration) and 11 (shows most calibrations). That's both LH and RH blend door arms. Bought aluminum arms and shafts. Went to replace...lo and behold, arms/shafts are already there intact and working. Not the green arms but white ones on both sides. Lots of white grease. I'm guessing they were already replaced?

So why the codes? I can see the arms/doors rotating fine during calibration...I think. Movement is just barely rough but yellow piece and large black disc-like elements turning just fine. No noises or cracks. Nothing appears broken to my untrained eye. Phantom codes?

Problem is, the A/C does not work. Everything else is fine. Good heat from all sources, nothing stuck on hot/cool. Temp transitions fine. Recirculation door working fine. I get cool (outside temp) air, but no COLD A/C air.

Of note: after plugging back in the stepper motors, ran calibration and got code 22. This was just once and I'm assuming related to a system/software reset or something.

Thanks in advance. I'm hoping the system just needs a recharge.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Does the AC compressor clutch kick in when you turn on the AC?

Saab(s)
    04 9-5
    Trying to figure this out proved difficult for me. What's the best way? Compressor is on left side of engine?

Saab(s)
    04 9-5
    Any blend door experts out there?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    If a blend door breaks inside the airbox it can be repaired without replacing the entire unit, usually a job done on newer cars by people who specialize in this type of work, older cars replacement with a good used unit is more cost effective.

Blend door drive arms and shafts are made out of plastic, these also break and strip at the shaft connection and are replaceable and repairable. The drive motors are made by Valeo. the internal gears are plastic and over a period of time or use these gears break and strip. Most, but not all of the time blend door failure is a plastic part and removal of the air motors for good physical inspection finds the problem.

Saab(s)
    04 9-5
    Now that you mention it, when I took apart the motor for inspection I noticed the two plastic studs inside were sheared off. Since the motor seemed to still work I paid no attention.