Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear

car always in forward gear no matter the selection

Hey guys the other day my brothers 2001 saab 95-5 started to buck a little when first taking off from a stop. when he was on his way home the car stopped moving while going up a hill. He put it neutral(AT) and it started moving forward. I figured bad idea to keep driving it so had it towed home. When home I decided to check fluid levels and look for leaks. levels are all okay just a little dirty. I also noticed no matter what I put the car in Park, reverse, neutral, it is always moving or at least trying to move. When its in drive it has the hardest time moving though. I know I am not giving enough to go off and there is really no way for you guys to know what's going on without actually seeing it in person. Really any idea what might be happening would be very helpful as my brother just started a new job and doesn't have all this money to throw at someone to figure out the problem. Thanks much!

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Start with the simple stuff, sometimes it's a bad shift select cable, sometimes it's a bad tranny position switch and sometimes it's a bad valve. Pop the hood and without starting the engine, grab hold of that little sucker, if you can shift the tranny even one notch with the shift lever locked in park, you've got a loose or bad cable. If not that, get out the ohm meter and check the switch.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear
    cool thank you so much for getting back to me I was able to check the cable and I couldn't get it to move and it moves perfect when using the gear selector. Now for the position switch how do I test that with my ohm meter is there a post on the wis I can look up?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Multiple pages in the WIS, click on the binoculars icon and type "shift" in the title area and you will get the where everything is and the what to look for.